• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ugliest or Dysfunctional CD players, Turntables, Pre-amps and other gear

deprogrammed

If I remember correctly, it was attached to a piece of wood because " wood sounds good". Tuned like an instrument ;)
A violin is made of wood and is an instrument. My dac is on wood so it is an instrument. Monty Python Logic. Something audiophiles are masters of.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Dollar for dollar (in the US) in their day with an empathetic cartridge, they were hard to beat and were extremely popular. More than a few of us "poor men" referred to them as the "Poor Man's Thorens".

Hard to beat? Easy to beat it- with a baseball bat! :p

Just putting that thing in the same sentence as Thorens should be a jailable offence.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to beat? Easy to beat it- with a baseball bat! :p

Just putting that thing in the same sentence as Thorens should be a jailable offence.

And $179? My Technics SL-20 was $99, and really was rather competent for the money.

Rick “cheap stuff should at least be...cheap” Denney

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
man! tough crowd.
1623842945597.png

;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't know if this is ugly or dysfunctional or both, but it is a stupidly insane attempt to give a solid state component the 'tube aura'.

061321-Vivace-GaNtubes-600.jpg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I worked in Hi-Fi when the GA-212 first came out. We could not keep them in stock they sold so fast. Also couldn't keep them out of the repair shop! I had one for a couple of months and nothing went wrong with it so I figured I was pushing my luck and unloaded it. Moved on to a used Rabco ST-4.

mononoaware

Oh no. . .

317mcttbl.2.jpg

mononoaware

I know right. Why not take it up a notch in the tacky stakes and have changing RGB colours- couldn't get much uglier IMO.

If anything it gives off a "minty" flavour vibe. . . artificial. . . but tasteful to some?

I would have trouble eating something else after tasting something mint flavoured though. . . and that probably sums up Mcintosh. . . nausea.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
. . . and that probably sums up Mcintosh. . . nausea.

Yeah, McIntosh seems to be throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks these days. I'm waiting for their Bluetooth speakers, if they aren't already making those. :facepalm:

egellings

Major Contributor
People at Shanling are trying too hard and blowing it badly, aesthetics-wise.

Top Bottom