• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ugliest or Dysfunctional CD players, Turntables, Pre-amps and other gear

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Man this has to be a joke??

@Blumlein 88 is right, I looked it up too. My goodness people are gullible.

I won 2nd prize in 1980 in a junior science competition with some PCBs screwed to a piece of wood. I think Iwas 12 or 13yo.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No Quartz PLL meant it wasn't as stable, nor as resistant to drag.

I remember this being related to how the Direct-Drive motor functioned.
I guess turntable speed consistency could be seen as the equivalent of a DAC’s internal clock, with inconsistent motor speed influencing the timing of the music.

And to my understanding with the Mk2 the Direct-Drive speed consistency was far superior to anything else at the time.
Sure people thought motor vibration was an issue, but it was extremely well made and operated with clock like accuracy. I thought “belt” drive with heat and friction wearing down the belt and needing to replace it was old-fashioned (kind of like Tube Amplifiers).

Found this:
https://www.technics.com/global/home/sl1200/heritage.html

From SL1200 onwards the design has not changed one bit ha.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"....Conforming to the Vibration & Character chapter the BYOB amplifier has no enclosure, and thus no enclosure resonances. If you knock on it, you won't hear trashy sounds. Just the musical sound of a solid spruce board, that is lacquered with natural wood resin....."

I see, if you knock on a amps case and you heare a 'ping' thats bad for the sound the amp amplifies, so better no case.
Great idear to sell a amp without case, more expensive than with. :facepalm:

I would say another case of hifi voodoo bla.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Altmann Attraction DAC. Yes on a piece of wood is how it came from the maker. You had to supply your own battery. It cost over $3000 for one that worked at 44.1 khz/16 bit only. For several hundred more you could add other sample rates and 24 bit.

View attachment 135182
View attachment 135183
This needs to be a sticky for any of the High End Audio extrme BS threads ... triple WOW! :eek::eek::eek:

Went to their website and ... wait ... there had more
I thought , I had seen it all in High End Audio. This has to be one of the ... <words are failing me... I can't find any superlative or expletive for this > concept I have ever seen. Defintely top 5.

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Altmann Attraction DAC. Yes on a piece of wood is how it came from the maker. You had to supply your own battery. It cost over $3000 for one that worked at 44.1 khz/16 bit only. For several hundred more you could add other sample rates and 24 bit.

View attachment 135182
View attachment 135183
If I remember correctly, it was attached to a piece of wood because " wood sounds good". Tuned like an instrument ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This needs to be a sticky for any of the High End Audio extrme BS threads ... triple WOW! :eek::eek::eek:

Went to their website and ... wait ... there had more
I thought , I had seen it all in High End Audio. This has to be one of the ... <words are failing me... I can't find any superlative or expletive for this > concept I have ever seen. Defintely top 5.

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm

From marketing point of view it's genious.
Sell less and make the people feel they have more!!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I won 2nd prize in 1980 in a junior science competition with some PCBs screwed to a piece of wood. I think Iwas 12 or 13yo.
With the technical side sorted if you then focused on creative writing you would be rich by now.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything that was made by Blue Circle Audio.

blue_circle_fx2.jpg

Top Bottom