• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

U-Turn Pluto 2 Review (Phono Preamp)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the U-Turn Audio Pluto 2 phono stage (preamplifier). It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me for testing. It costs US $99 from dealers.

The Pluto 2 comes in a nicely done and solid meta box:

u-turn pluto 2 review phono amplifier stage.jpg

It only supports moving magnet input so there is nothing to select.

Inputs and outputs as you can imagine then, is very simple:

u-turn pluto 2 review rear connection back power supply phono amplifier stage.jpg

Power is provided by the 9 volt AC transformer (NOT DC power). This makes the design simpler as you can covert AC to plus and negative voltages very easily which can then drive the amplifier.

Internal layout is nice and clean:

PCBA-200_full.jpg

The power supply is on the bottom which requires routing of the AC power past the amplifier. This may cause some extra hum that would not be there otherwise. Don't understand why SMD parts were not used for passive parts. Perhaps it would not look so pretty in the picture! :)

U-Turn Audio Pluto 2 Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard with driving the unit at 5 millivolts @ 1 kHz:

u-turn pluto 2 measurements phono amplifier stage.png

Gain is 40 dB. Spectrum of noise and distortion shows that we are limited by the mains hum at -80 dB. By playing with grounding, I reduced it a couple of dB as you see. No further reduction of it was possible in my setup making me think what is there is ripple from the power supply. That sets our noise floor which as noted, is much more than distortion. SINAD as a result is dominated by that hum:

best phono stage review 2021.png

Still, that is above average.

We can confirm the signal to noise ratio by measuring it independent of distortion:

u-turn pluto 2 SNR measurements phono amplifier stage.png

We see that we are a bit shy of the company spec when we apply a-weighting so maybe that hum can be further reduced.

Distortion as noted is quite low:

u-turn pluto 2 distortion measurements phono amplifier stage.png

Sweeping the frequency we see that distortion remains low and is most optimized for 2 to 5 kHz which is nice:

u-turn pluto 2 THD+N vs frequency fixed voltage measurements phono amplifier stage.png

Testing for overload we see that you need to get to > 55 mv input before the amp clips:

u-turn pluto 2 THD+N vs Level measurements phono amplifier stage.png

We have seen better and worse.

Most important test here is faithfulness of RIAA equalization and the Pluto 2 does well there:

u-turn pluto 2 frequency response measurements phono amplifier stage.png

Conclusions
For a budget product, I like to see a solid build with distortion below noise and correct RIAA equalization. Pluto 2 delivers on that. It is a simple story and it works.

I am putting the U-Turn Audio Pluto 2 on my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweeping the frequency we see that distortion remains low and is most optimized for 2 to 5 kHz which is nice:

View attachment 137035
I would expect that all 1 stage MM phono preamps with active RIAA deemphasis show similar THD over frequency. The higher the frequency the less gain is required, leaving more loop gain for negative feedback which counteracts falling open loop gain over frequency.

Vuki

I would expect that all 1 stage MM phono preamps with active RIAA deemphasis show similar THD over frequency. The higher the frequency the less gain is required, leaving more loop gain for negative feedback which counteracts falling open loop gain over frequency.
Is it 1 stage? That's quad opamp in there - lm837.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Can't see what they are using- looks like LM-8xx (pic too blurry) So with that package, it is a quad opamp, so two per channel.

And they say this: Pluto 2 features a second gain stage - boosting the gain level from 36 dB (single stage) to 41 dB

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That graph is pure THD without noise. So the distortion is rising in lower frequencies as well.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd suggest the overload margin of this should be a minimum for MM cartridges. I understand that for example, the Ortofon 2M Red (a popular low cost cartridge) is capable of over 50mV on surface pops and clicks so a worst case these days if you avoid the jurassic Shure M44-7 (Ortofon reportedly 6.5mV at 5cm/s and the old Shure even higher). I mention these two cartridges as they're the kind of thing that could be used with a lower cost phono stage like this, the Shure in vintage old decks carving their path through tthe grooves at 4g or so and the 2M Red popular in many lower cost models (the AT VM95 range has lower reported output so safer).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd suggest the overload margin of this should be a minimum for MM cartridges. I understand that for example, the Ortofon 2M Red (a popular low cost cartridge) is capable of over 50mV on surface pops and clicks so a worst case these days if you avoid the jurassic Shure M44-7 (Ortofon reportedly 6.5mV at 5cm/s and the old Shure even higher).

Sure, the overload margin is poor. But as long as it doesn't lock-up to a rail or burst into oscillation, it really doesn't matter that much. After all, who wants perfect fidelity when reproducing a pop or a tick? You could make an argument that a lower overload would make such aberrations not so annoying... :)

A 55mV overload would have been laughed out of the room in the 70s and 80s. Not even a single stage opamp RIAA in a low end receiver would have less than 120mV. I have preamps with >300mV overloads on MM with 20VRMS output swings.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Anyone care to comment on the negative rail regulator and why they may have taken the path they have, instead of a 79M12? Perhaps is has some built-in delay to the neg rail to prevent switch-on/off noises?

kyllwtr

Maybe the AC hum can be avoid supplying the unit from a DC source.
The unit has a classical diode bridge rectifier. After that there is a linear voltage regulator from whom I'm a little puzzled. It is a 12V output regulator. Thus actually it never 'regulates' since the nominal 9Vac input (considering the voltage drop across the bridge and the crest factor across the capacitor) should give something less than 11V (often the transformers have an actually higher output voltage than nominal that drop on load).
Since it requires 2V minimum of dropout, it is always working in saturated mode, thus all input ripple can be found at the output.
Thus feeding with 12Vdc should not give problem for this regulator.
The only doubt is U3, that I can't recognize from the image.

It is possible that U2 is used only to protect U3 from transient, leaving it as main regulator.
But, looking at the PCB parts and tracks, I've the feeling that it is a switched capacitor part to generate the negative voltage required by the amplifier, leaving U2 to supply the positive side.
If so, I think that applying 12Vdc, will not harmful to the unit while eradicating the hum and ripple problems.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe the AC hum can be avoid supplying the unit from a DC source.
The unit has a classical diode bridge rectifier. After that there is a linear voltage regulator from whom I'm a little puzzled. It is a 12V output regulator. Thus actually it never 'regulates' since the nominal 9Vac input (considering the voltage drop across the bridge and the crest factor across the capacitor) should give something less than 11V (often the transformers have an actually higher output voltage than nominal that drop on load).
Since it requires 2V minimum of dropout, it is always working in saturated mode, thus all input ripple can be found at the output.
Thus feeding with 12Vdc should not give problem for this regulator.
The only doubt is U3, that I can't recognize from the image.

It is possible that U2 is used only to protect U3 from transient, leaving it as main regulator.
But, looking at the PCB parts and tracks, I've the feeling that it is a switched capacitor part to generate the negative voltage required by the amplifier, leaving U2 to supply the positive side.
If so, I think that applying 12Vdc, will not harmful to the unit while eradicating the hum and ripple problems.

It runs +/- split rails. That's why it is supplied with AC. U3 is likely regulating the negative rail.

9V AC and the full bridge will mean the 78M12 is touch and go for decent regulation. Like you say, the "plugpacks" are often way above their sticker voltage, but it still isn't a good margin on rated. Unless...we have a voltage doubler...?

B4ICU

Nice and clean built quality. Wonder why mix manufacturing process: through hole and SMT?
I see that LP returns big time. What a shame.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Quick question: What is the usable dynamic range bitwise of vinyl? I am guessing 12 bit?

jrosser

milosz

Forum Donor
I want to see the SINAD of vinyl playback.... surely you can find a vinyl record with a 1 kHz tone on it....

anphex

Forum Donor
I want to see the SINAD of vinyl playback.... surely you can find a vinyl record with a 1 kHz tone on it....

Serato Scratch DJ Timecode Vinyl are at 1 kHz afaik.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some I posted a short time ago. Fun with vinyl measurements | Page 2 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

What can't be separated (at least, I can't think how) is the distortion on the LP from the original cutting and pressing, and the distortion generated by the cartridge. The phono stage will normally have vanishingly small distortion in comparison.

S

Last edited:

JensH

It runs +/- split rails. That's why it is supplied with AC. U3 is likely regulating the negative rail.

9V AC and the full bridge will mean the 78M12 is touch and go for decent regulation. Like you say, the "plugpacks" are often way above their sticker voltage, but it still isn't a good margin on rated. Unless...we have a voltage doubler...?
Perhaps it could actually run off a DC supply. The number of diodes makes it look like a full bridge rectifier, not a split voltage supply from an AC source.

My guess is that U3 is a charge pump, generating a -10 V supply from the +12V supply. It could be a TC1044S from Microchip. The pin-out fits with C33 as the charge pump capacitor.

Anthony T

Nice and clean built quality. Wonder why mix manufacturing process: through hole and SMT?
I see that LP returns big time. What a shame.

Why Is it a shame? If it doesn’t interest you fair enough but the added negativity just seems pointless considering that this is a phono stage review….

Top Bottom