• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

U.S.A.'s last cassette tape manufacturer spews B.S.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know DolbyA decoding, I have developed software that can decode DolbyA pretty well, and it is DEFINITELY BEST TO AVOID!!! I hope no-one ever uses DolbyA to write a tape again. It can be a headache for anyone trying to read it. Note that I didn't write a DolbyA encoder -- actually a little easier?

It was great for its day, esp using the same tape deck/DolbyA unit combination all of the time. Mix and match? not so much.
DolbyA noise reduction IS very good, but does leave some 'fog'. Who really cares anymore?
Haha. That’s great that we can decode it in software.

They really threw a hammer at the problem.

It will drive the nail in and who cares if the wood finish gets damaged?

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
National Audio is not the last cassette manufacturer in the US. ATR Magnetics, also a supplier of studio reel to reel tape, makes cassettes also.

Shirley Marquez

I know DolbyA decoding, I have developed software that can decode DolbyA pretty well, and it is DEFINITELY BEST TO AVOID!!! I hope no-one ever uses DolbyA to write a tape again. It can be a headache for anyone trying to read it. Note that I didn't write a DolbyA encoder -- actually a little easier?

It was great for its day, esp using the same tape deck/DolbyA unit combination all of the time. Mix and match? not so much.
DolbyA noise reduction IS very good, but does leave some 'fog'. Who really cares anymore?
People still care about accurate decoding of Dolby A because of all the remix projects of albums from the era when Dolby A was used on masters. Properly loading the masters into the DAW software is vital for a good result.

Proper encoding of Dolby A is almost certainly pointless in 2023. It offers no sonic advantage over recording in a high quality digital format. If you prefer to use tape anyway, just don't bother with noise reduction; reel to reel tape made on a quality deck is quiet enough without it, though you'll need to set your levels carefully.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Dolby SR replaced A in 86 and was much better. Now analog tape is only used in real studios as an effect, tape compression.
That article is an indication of where writers are these days. Facts just get in the way. Bullshit rules. Even the Smithsonian, Scientific America, National Geographic etc., the ones you used to be able to trust are now full of click bait lies.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Sad to say but Neil Deass Tyson is so full of himself I can't watch the hundreds of videos on Youtube starring Neil. He, like everyone else (Elon this means you) get so much stuff wrong when they stray out of their line of expertise. In their field I would defer to them every time but when talking about many other things I have to change my viewing to something else. I think both of them learned a lot outside their fields from Youtube. It really shows! Bu then, I'm not perfect either so take it for what it is worth, about a penny.:D

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dolby SR replaced A in 86 and was much better. Now analog tape is only used in real studios as an effect, tape compression.
That article is an indication of where writers are these days. Facts just get in the way. Bullshit rules. Even the Smithsonian, Scientific America, National Geographic etc., the ones you used to be able to trust are now full of click bait lies.
Sad state of affairs really.

Top Bottom