• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tyll is retiring from Innerfidelity!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He should be commended for being honest about his declining ability to hear.

I wish him the best. Hope he stays safe out there.

Jacona

Pretty nifty way to retire, wonder if he'll blog his adventures.

Really interested on who is going to replace him.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
I wonder if it is Steve Guttenberg.

The man who loves every single headphone he's ever written about? His ''reviews'' are a total waste of time.I pray that it is not him.

He looks at least as old as Tyll. I'm sure his hearing is worse.....

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Is he an auto electronic mechanic; the red metal toolbox in the garage's background.

And this:
jnsn72071_7PKHW8Y.gif.400x400_q85ss0_background-%23FFFFFF_progressive.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
nah, didn't Tyll say it will be someone from outside the community?
He said outside of the headphone community. Is Steve inside it?

Then again if the new guy is going to continue to make measurements, it likely is not Steve.

Superdad

Audio Company
Who knows, since the acquisition of Stereophile and its web sites, it is possible that both Innerfidelity and Audiostream will be shut down. Innerfidelity gets but a fraction of the traffic that Head-Fi.org does, and AudioStream gets almost no traffic (never has).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well understood what he's saying on the negatives of making your passion your livelyhood, often disheartening. In his final comments he sounds like he's now burned out on the whole headphone thing.
As for livin out for 80 sq feet and shitin in a bucket, hummm, no comment. I wish him well.
Enjoy life on your own terms Tyll! It doesn't get better than that.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is he an auto electronic mechanic; the red metal toolbox in the garage's background.

He founded HeadRoom (which back then made amplifiers) and refined their crossfeed circuit before Innerfidelity.

I enjoyed reading him on Innerfidelity and before that. I'm also thankful he was willing to measure some IEMs for me. Admittedly, on that I'm perhaps even more thankful that the measurements tracked my subjective impressions!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyone own headroom amps? I bought their portable unit and was amazed at the difference it made in bass and overall fidelity over my laptop output.

I then bought their desktop unit and that was a real disappointment as it brought nothing over the portable version.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone own headroom amps? I bought their portable unit and was amazed at the difference it made in bass and overall fidelity over my laptop output.

I then bought their desktop unit and that was a real disappointment as it brought nothing over the portable version.

I have a few HeadRoom headroom amps: the Total BitHead (plastic portable with standard sized batteries), Portable Micro Amp (metal transportable with integrated Li-Ion battery), and two of the Desktop DAC/amp units (one at home one in my office). I guess they are all "vintage" now. All but the office Desktop unit were bought new.

I have never done a level matched test. The Portable Micro seems to have marginally more grunt than the Total BitHead on my Sennheiser 580s, though otherwise there is nothing really different. However, the Desktop has adjustable HF rolloff on the crossfeed, seems a little quieter, and can act as a preamp for several sources. Doing so is a little unwieldy, because the source switches are on the back of the amp. I usually use the USB input.

Doing it over, I would have saved the money I spent on the Portable Micro. I occasionally use the Total BitHead when traveling, but lately I've stuck to the Cipher lighting cable DAC/amp and iSine 10 for hotel room musical escapism.

Top Bottom