• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two vintage Technics amps measured: SU-V900 and SU-V90D

I've always wanted the SU-V900 as all my brothers friends had cool Hi-Fi stuff and all I wanted as a kid is to be like them. Three decades later I am an owner of the entire Euro G-Series that comprises SU-V900 amp, SL-P900 CD player and RS-B965 tape deck. All have been serviced and modified ( by OE upgraded Technics parts from upscale models ) and I do pamper them and take good care of 'em. Even listen to those on rare occasions ( mostly in winter when just sitting around the house ). SU-V900 is not the best amp from that era yet its topography, weight and "built-like-a-tank" presence might suggest so. With tweaks I have done it is miles from what it was right "out of the box" but it is not about the sound or to compare it to today's rivals. It is like comparing Ferrari F40 to the new Ferrari LaFerrari. New Honda Civic Type R would give an F40 run for its money today. All it is, is an experience and a nice travel down the memory lane to reminisce the good old days when we still recorded the mix tapes, were buying records and CD's, the time when we actually had dreams. The time before we were awaken!

acanning

I couldn’t agree more with Technics-N-thusiasT.

Back in the late 1980s, just after I started working, I saved up and bought a Technics RS-B605 tape deck and an SL-P770 CD player. I used them with an old Quad amp and some Kef speakers. They were my pride and joy for several years until the whole lot was nicked after a break-in in 1994. I was able to replace it all with the insurance money but over the intervening years I held a soft spot for the CD player in particular.

Wind the clock forward to December 2020 and I’m asked by some elderly friends of my wife to dispose of some hi-fi gear they no longer used or wanted. I went to the house and my eyes popped out of my head when I was presented with an SL-P770, a SU-V90D amp, RS-T55R dual tape deck and an ST-G90L tuner. Not only did they have all the manuals but also the original brochure from the late 80s. This is the same brochure I had spent hours poring over back in my youth….oh the nostalgia!

Surprisingly the tape deck seems to work fine and so does the tuner although I don’t have much use for them. The cd player and amp were a little sick but I gave them to a local repairer and he was able to bring them back to life. The CD player just needed some new grease and the amp had the various switches cleaned. They now work perfectly.

I’m very fortunate in that I have been able to spend a lot on money on my main system which consists of Meridian DSP speakers with a music streamer. All very convenient and it sounds amazing. I have plugged the Technics gear into my office system and have been having a wonderful time playing my previously boxed-up CDs via the SU-90D using the digital inputs into some fairly ancient Proac Response speakers. Technically this system is probably hugely inferior to modern equipment but the shear joy of bringing this stuff back to life not to mention the wonderful nostalgia has been an enlightening experience. Just to see the CD player display again is what (my) dreams are made of. Don't worry, I'm checking in for therapy soon......

SacreDro

Any futher thoughts if the SU-V900, SU-VX900 or SU-V8 are nice sounding amps?
Most of them look quite beefy and are heavy, buy many complain about the sound quality.

OP
elberoth

elberoth

Get the SU-V90D. Much better sounding.

Get the SU-V90D. Much better sounding.
I just got the SU-V100D from Japan. What an amazing amplifier. It as dual mono configuration like the SU-V900 with the sound of an SU-V90D ( or better ). 28,5Kg!!! Took the cover off of it and staring at it like a pervert :p. It is gonna drive my lovely Audiovector's SR3 Arretés'. Unfortunately, it is in a rough visual shape. But if i like it, I might look for a mint one and keep this for parts. Oh, and it has 8 filtering caps too! 65600mF! Also, finishing up the SU-MA10 project amp with some upgrades too. Just like with the SU-V900, putting bigger caps out of the SU-VX800 ( two of those ) I purchased purposely to do this. This are the X-Pros @ 71V 15000mF ( x4 ) instead of the 71V 12000mF that are in those amps. I might even see if there are some interchangeable parts in the SU-V100D to upgrade SU-MA10 with them while searching for the nicer SU-V100D.

Any futher thoughts if the SU-V900, SU-VX900 or SU-V8 are nice sounding amps?
Most of them look quite beefy and are heavy, buy many complain about the sound quality.
Very much so. They look and are built with the right approach in mind but overall, they've missed that target. Great build quality, amazing topography and good quality parts, yet not living up to their panache. I own several SU-VX800 ( very much the same as SU-VX920 ) and those have the XLR balanced inputs too. Power amp direct inputs that is! And they are really good, but not great. Much better sound than my SU-V900, to be honest. SU-V900 can sound a bit thin in the low frequencies and that can be corrected if want to spend more money ( more than you have spent on the amp itself ) on a proper power cable and even better power conditioner ( I have spent double the amps money on those )!!! Also, pick and chose your interconnects wisely. Speakers and speaker cables as well. I upgrade all my Technics stuff with OE parts ( mostly from Japanese models ) that does help a lot to get a good sound out of them. But you really must me prepared to spend a lot of money on a very minor improvements yet overall you will achieve satisfactory results. I have. At the cost. High cost!

Top Bottom