• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two SVS PB-1000s (original not pro) or one Rhythmik E15HP2 w/Hypex

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Acerun, considering you already own the PBs, why is the question "...or..."?
Since you put that bug in my ear I had to find out whether I could run one pb1000 and the Rythmik. I am no golden ear but I did use Adyssey xt32, I put the subs on the left and right hand side of the listening room slightly offset and I have to say that so far it sounds pretty good. I haven't blown the house apart yet on a big movie but I'm realizing that I was pretty darn happy with two pb1000s as well. More testing to be done but I'm pretty darn sure I can get what I paid for for that Rythmik if needed.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a little more cash in pocket I decided to upgrade two components of my system. I'm upgrading my M16s to M106s at the current sale price and I'm adding another Rythmik E15HP2 to replace the PB1000. That's a $3,000 upgrade but I figure I can sell my m16s or possibly replace my MM55xcs as surrounds and I can sell the PB-1000 and I won $1,000 fantasy baseball money this season so... That's my reasoning and I'm sticking with it. Everyone talked me out of the M126BEs so I acquiesced and pivoted elsewhere. Spread the wealth.

Ricardojoa

If i can do it again, i would go for a pair of subs. The rythmik is great but you need toggle switch on 14 hz to reach to it. With that setting i find, it lacks punch so I always have it on 28hz.

Willem

Major Contributor
Two or more subs give a much smoother response and over a wider listening area.
Mixing two different subs is not a problem, as shown by Archimago and also suggested by both Geddes and Toole.
Do use dsp room eq such as MSO.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two or more subs give a much smoother response and over a wider listening area.
Mixing two different subs is not a problem, as shown by Archimago and also suggested by both Geddes and Toole.
Do use dsp room eq such as MSO.
I find the PB-1000 a bit boomy. I use Audessey XT32 for room correction

Willem

Major Contributor
The boom almost certainly comes from the room modes rather than the sub. MSO will do a better job than Audessey. A third sub will also help. But measure first.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The boom almost certainly comes from the room modes rather than the sub. MSO will do a better job than Audessey. A third sub will also help. But measure first.
So do people use MSO via a minidsp 2x4hd in addition to overall room correction from Audessey XT32? minidsp 2x4hd can be used with AudesseyXT32?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw this post by peng in another thread. "Agreed, if you have not more than two subs, the miniDSP won't likely make any audible difference (better or worse...) as long the used AVR you are considering comes with XT32 Sub EQ HT and is compatible with the $20 App."

moonlight rainbow dream

I tend to believe that you can get better results by setting levels + delays + EQs of your subs manually with the aid of a measurement mic. Also, the minidsp will allow you to adjust the delay independently between multiple subs letting you time align them.

Even something as simple as level-matching the subs is done much more accurately if you have each sub's actual response curve. An automatic method that just averages SPL can't ignore all the peaks and dips like a human can.

After level matching, time aligning, and cutting significant peaks... you can run audyssey on top of that afterwards. It's fine. You actually do want to do that because you need to align the L/R/C with your subs still.

IMO you would only get comparable results from xt32 alone if your room is perfectly rectangular with no openings and you can do symmetrical placement of subs (midpoints of opposing walls or diagonally opposing corners). And even then, you have to get the app to add a house curve, because with my ears, I think the default target curve is too flat.

All that said... get a mic anyways. There is no faster and more effective way to verify the performance of your setup and quantify improvement.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love any feedback on what I might gain or lose. I currently run a 5.2 set up with Denon 3700h, Revel M16s, Revel C25 and two SVS PB-1000 subs. I have the opportunity to buy a Rhythmik E15HP2 Hypex version at a very good price. Wondering if it would be worth doing. Any thoughts on what I might expect from a performance perspective?

The PB-1000s are supposed to go down to 19Hz, looks like the E15HP2 goes down to 14Hz.

I don't listen at extraordinary volumes although I will turn it up for movies sometimes and I listen to a good amount of music. Room is maybe 25 x 30 ft but opens up to other open space on one side.

I realize that the PB-1000s are considered an entry level sub, but I'm pressed to understand what I might get from one high quality sub vs two pretty good entry level subs.

Actual spl levels you listen at (even master volume readings from your avr) would help. In a room that size I'd definitely want at least duals altho one big nearfield sub if only worried about my own seat might work. I'd prefer a bit more sub than the old PB1000s, too and I wouldn't go to a 15" sealed from using those either. Maybe a vented Rythmik, but still preferably at least duals. The difference in extension isn't going to be significant at lower listening levels in any case.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to believe that you can get better results by setting levels + delays + EQs of your subs manually with the aid of a measurement mic. Also, the minidsp will allow you to adjust the delay independently between multiple subs letting you time align them.

Even something as simple as level-matching the subs is done much more accurately if you have each sub's actual response curve. An automatic method that just averages SPL can't ignore all the peaks and dips like a human can.

After level matching, time aligning, and cutting significant peaks... you can run audyssey on top of that afterwards. It's fine. You actually do want to do that because you need to align the L/R/C with your subs still.

IMO you would only get comparable results from xt32 alone if your room is perfectly rectangular with no openings and you can do symmetrical placement of subs (midpoints of opposing walls or diagonally opposing corners). And even then, you have to get the app to add a house curve, because with my ears, I think the default target curve is too flat.

All that said... get a mic anyways. There is no faster and more effective way to verify the performance of your setup and quantify improvement.
I bought a mic funny enough (umik)... Haven't used it yet after about 8 months... Good excuse once I get the new equipment all together.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a mic funny enough (umik)... Haven't used it yet after about 8 months... Good excuse once I get the new equipment all together.
Come on, you have the mic, the software is fairly easy to initiate.... :)

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actual spl levels you listen at (even master volume readings from your avr) would help. In a room that size I'd definitely want at least duals altho one big nearfield sub if only worried about my own seat might work. I'd prefer a bit more sub than the old PB1000s, too and I wouldn't go to a 15" sealed from using those either. Maybe a vented Rythmik, but still preferably at least duals. The difference in extension isn't going to be significant at lower listening levels in any case.
Why not 15-in sealed? The first one I got at half price and I like it a lot The second one I'm buying at full price so I think I'm ahead of the game. I'd rather have highly capable subs that are a little bit overkill with plenty of headroom at all levels.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on, you have the mic, the software is fairly easy to initiate.... :)
I hear you... Life is difficult with two kids. I never get a moment. The mini DSP stuff is very confusing to me. I honestly don't get it. Isn't that why I bought a Denon X3700H with AudesseyXT32 which got rave reviews by Amir?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not 15-in sealed? The first one I got at half price and I like it a lot The second one I'm buying at full price so I think I'm ahead of the game. I'd rather have highly capable subs that are a little bit overkill with plenty of headroom at all levels.
Better question is why limit the sub like that? You need smaller form factor? Don't care as much for deep bass output? You realize you're limited by lower capability sub?
Hard to know.....Rythmik wouldn't be my next choice either.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better question is why limit the sub like that? You need smaller form factor? Don't care as much for deep bass output? You realize you're limited by lower capability sub?
Hard to know.....Rythmik wouldn't be my next choice either.
Maybe there's some confusion. I will be running two Rythmik E15HP2 sealed subs with 1000w Hypex. I'm getting rid of the old SB-1000s.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So are you just running the two sub outputs from the AVR into the MiniDSP then out to the subs? The Denon in this instance would control everything else and then after running the software, you then run Audessey 32XT on top of it? Do I understand that correctly? I have a 5.2 set up.

FWIW, I do have the subs at the midpoint of opposing walls and do use the app to align better to the Harmon curve just as Amir walked through in his review of Audessey 32XT. The room however is not perfectly rectangular and has a large open space behind the main listening couch, and there's a large opening on one side into other areas of the house.

moonlight rainbow dream

So are you just running the two sub outputs from the AVR into the MiniDSP then out to the subs? The Denon in this instance would control everything else and then after running the software, you then run Audessey 32XT on top of it? Do I understand that correctly? I have a 5.2 set up.

FWIW, I do have the subs at the midpoint of opposing walls and do use the app to align better to the Harmon curve just as Amir walked through in his review of Audessey 32XT. The room however is not perfectly rectangular and has a large open space behind the main listening couch, and there's a large opening on one side into other areas of the house.

I would use a Y-splitter and use only a single sub out on the receiver. You can check and see whether the sub outs on your receiver are truly independent (then you would want to bypass it using y-splitter) or if there is an internal y-splitter.

The "theory" behind a basic multi-sub setup is to make the response similar throughout the entire listening area... then you can apply EQ (either auto or manual) and it will work for all listening positions instead of just the sweetspot as with a single sub setup. In this scenario, you would be using a mono sub signal.

If you want to try MSO, that is another jump up in complexity. You will be using the minidsp to apply unique EQ for each sub instead of all of them together as one.

EDIT: Actually, you don't even need a y-splitter. Can just run a single sub out from receiver to single input on the minidsp.

Top Bottom