• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two SVS PB-1000s (original not pro) or one Rhythmik E15HP2 w/Hypex

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love any feedback on what I might gain or lose. I currently run a 5.2 set up with Denon 3700h, Revel M16s, Revel C25 and two SVS PB-1000 subs. I have the opportunity to buy a Rhythmik E15HP2 Hypex version at a very good price. Wondering if it would be worth doing. Any thoughts on what I might expect from a performance perspective?

The PB-1000s are supposed to go down to 19Hz, looks like the E15HP2 goes down to 14Hz.

I don't listen at extraordinary volumes although I will turn it up for movies sometimes and I listen to a good amount of music. Room is maybe 25 x 30 ft but opens up to other open space on one side.

I realize that the PB-1000s are considered an entry level sub, but I'm pressed to understand what I might get from one high quality sub vs two pretty good entry level subs.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Acerun, considering you already own the PBs, why is the question "...or..."?
Well there's no way I'm going to run three subs. No room and my wife would kill me. I suppose I could run the rhythmik and one pb1000 but most people say not to mismatch subs

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny enough I think the PB-1000 and the E15HP2 are basically the same size...maybe the wife won't notice

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Would love any feedback on what I might gain or lose. I currently run a 5.2 set up with Denon 3700h, Revel M16s, Revel C25 and two SVS PB-1000 subs. I have the opportunity to buy a Rhythmik E15HP2 Hypex version at a very good price. Wondering if it would be worth doing. Any thoughts on what I might expect from a performance perspective?
I had a similar question like you: 2 x SB1000 vs. 1 x SB3000, hence couple of paragraphs written in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sb-3000-inside-pics-specs-and-thoughts.27215/.

With one sub will be much easier to adjust the crossover filter and to use PEQ and rearrange the sub in a way to minimise phase cancellations. With two subs, especially if these are facing one to each other, thing will get more complicating in setting up the phase, LPF crossover, positioning and finding the sweet spot too. The main advantage of having two subs is the added 3 dB SPL in max. output power.

Given that the E15 here https://www.rythmikaudio.com/E15_specs.html has a higher excursion and a lower freq. response, I would probably give it a try and return it if there will be something you will not like. Although, SB3000 or SB4000 might be a good alternative too.

BTW, we're comparing a shipping weight of 34 lbs. vs. 104 lbs. and 13.5" (H) x 13" (W) x 14.6"(D) vs. 19 " (H ) x 17"(W) x 20"(D), so totally different size and weight.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You may need to use REW + measurement mic and readjust the crossover frequency, if possible.

I used Dirac. Above 40hz I feel imbalanced pressure from one side of the room. If sub is centered in front or behind, I don't notice.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a similar question like you: 2 x SB1000 vs. 1 x SB3000, hence couple of paragraphs written in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sb-3000-inside-pics-specs-and-thoughts.27215/.

With one sub will be much easier to adjust the crossover filter and to use PEQ and rearrange the sub in a way to minimise phase cancellations. With two subs, especially if these are facing one to each other, thing will get more complicating in setting up the phase, LPF crossover, positioning and finding the sweet spot too. The main advantage of having two subs is the added 3 dB SPL in max. output power.

Given that the E15 here https://www.rythmikaudio.com/E15_specs.html has a higher excursion and a lower freq. response, I would probably give it a try and return it if there will be something you will not like. Although, SB3000 or SB4000 might be a good alternative too.

BTW, we're comparing a shipping weight of 34 lbs. vs. 104 lbs. and 13.5" (H) x 13" (W) x 14.6"(D) vs. 19 " (H ) x 17"(W) x 20"(D), so totally different size and weight.
PB1000 dimensions are 18.9" (H) 15" (W) 19.4" (D) so pretty similar. Perhaps you were looking at the SB1000?

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
PB1000 dimensions are 18.9" (H) 15" (W) 19.4" (D) so pretty similar. Perhaps you were looking at the SB1000?
And me thinking at SB-1000 instead, thanks for the answer.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor

The PB-1000s are supposed to go down to 19Hz, looks like the E15HP2 goes down to 14Hz.

I don't listen at extraordinary volumes although I will turn it up for movies sometimes and I listen to a good amount of music. Room is maybe 25 x 30 ft but opens up to other open space on one side.

I realize that the PB-1000s are considered an entry level sub, but I'm pressed to understand what I might get from one high quality sub vs two pretty good entry level subs.
My first question is are you dissatisfied with your current system?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first question is are you dissatisfied with your current system?
1. Sounds a bit hollow/boomy at times
2. Two rather large black boxes aren't aesthetically pleasing in the room. Would look better with one.
3. FOMO on high quality sub sound
4. Extraordinarily good deal available

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
1. Sounds a bit hollow/boomy at times
2. Two rather large black boxes aren't aesthetically pleasing in the room. Would look better with one.
3. FOMO on high quality sub sound
4. Extraordinarily good deal available
Thanks- any potential downsides to the purchase?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks- any potential downsides to the purchase?
1. Less cash in pocket :)
2. One high quality sub may provide less even sound distribution to all sitting positions
3. I'll always wonder whether two of them would sound better. Ha.

Those are the ones I can think of

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
Is the Rythmik so inexpensive you could resell it without a loss if you don’t like it?

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
If you feel confident enough about it not being a financial loss then the only losses are your time in buying, setting it up, running REW, etc.

Is the loss time so much it outweighs the potential benefits?

Top Bottom