• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two speakers for computer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean
Perhaps the JBL sub with them. Let's say I expand my budget by a bit now: would it be better to get a sub now?
You might be satisfied with the LP-6 without a sub. I think you'd want a sub with the iLouds. I think the iLouds are best thought of as being affordable versions of the Neumann KH80 and Genelec 8010 - very accurate micro-speakers. They'll have great clarity ideal for mixing dialog and maybe acoustic music but if you want some impact a sub would be a good idea. The JBL sub seems like an awesome deal.

If you have the space for big speakers that's generally the way to go, because the money you save by not getting a sub can buy you an 8" monitor like the JBL 308, Kali LP-8, others from Adam, Behringer, KRK and so forth. An 8" speaker will go deeper and louder than almost any smaller speaker, and they make some great affordable options, but with two monitors, who has the space? I have a single 27" monitor and I'm thinking of getting the iLouds to replace my 305s.

OP
A
I mean

You might be satisfied with the LP-6 without a sub. I think you'd want a sub with the iLouds. I think the iLouds are best thought of as being affordable versions of the Neumann KH80 and Genelec 8010 - very accurate micro-speakers. They'll have great clarity ideal for mixing dialog and maybe acoustic music but if you want some impact a sub would be a good idea. The JBL sub seems like an awesome deal.

If you have the space for big speakers that's generally the way to go, because the money you save by not getting a sub can buy you an 8" monitor like the JBL 308, Kali LP-8, others from Adam, Behringer, KRK and so forth. An 8" speaker will go deeper and louder than almost any smaller speaker, and they make some great affordable options, but with two monitors, who has the space? I have a single 27" monitor and I'm thinking of getting the iLouds to replace my 305s.
Excellent write-up. I was not very clear, but I was talking about the iLouds. A little worried about the Bluetooth thing...

One more thing: do I need to buy an external amp? A vendor talked to me about Scarlett something. It's a DAC red box for 180$. The 305s are an interesting option if you want to play guitar, though (through a Helix Stomp for example).

edit: I found it https://www.amazon.ca/Focusrite-SCA...sprefix=focusrite+scarlett,aps,90&sr=8-1&th=1

XpanD

Forum Donor
Don't have much to add on recommendations, but I would avoid the LSR305s for this use -- they have quite a bit of amplifier hiss, and it's always there regardless of gain or other settings. Excellent speakers for the money otherwise (I have a pair!), but best used at a longer distance unless the hiss doesn't bother you.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I should give you guys a tour of my apartment.
Might not be the worst idea - I'm wondering why you have your desk squashed in the corner like that if there is that much space behind your back. With a free-standing desk, you'd have all the space in the world for speaker stands.

staticV3

Master Contributor
One more thing: do I need to buy an external amp? A vendor talked to me about Scarlett something. It's a DAC red box for 180$.
You need some kind of DAC for the iLouds. There's one built into your PC that you can use, or you can get an external one.

The best value DACs if you don't need knobs, switches, multiple inputs, are dongles.

Apple A2049 ($9)
Ugreen 80583 ($40)
Moondrop Dawn 3.5 ($65)

I'd get the Ugreen and keep it tucked away somewhere.
The Apple is nice, but has limited output voltage, so you'll have to turn up the volume of the amp inside the iLoud some more to get the same volume as you would with the others.

The Scarlett is nice for its differential output, but the iLoud doesn't have differential inputs, so that's useless.
The Scarlett also has a phantom power supply, microphone preamp, ADC, and headphone amp built in. Convenient if you need it, but do you?

If you want to get an external DAC, but you want a desktop unit with more inputs so that you can add a Chromecast Audio or something, them here are some options:
-JDS Atom DAC+
-SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKIII
-Schiit Modi+
-Topping E30 II
-SMSL D-6
-SMSL SU-6

OP
A
You need some kind of DAC for the iLouds. There's one built into your PC that you can use, or you can get an external one.

The best value DACs if you don't need knobs, switches, multiple inputs, are dongles.

Apple A2049 ($9)
Ugreen 80583 ($40)
Moondrop Dawn 3.5 ($65)

I'd get the Ugreen and keep it tucked away somewhere.
The Apple is nice, but has limited output voltage, so you'll have to turn up the volume of the amp inside the iLoud some more to get the same volume as you would with the others.

The Scarlett is nice for its differential output, but the iLoud doesn't have differential inputs, so that's useless.
The Scarlett also has a phantom power supply, microphone preamp, ADC, and headphone amp built in. Convenient if you need it, but do you?

If you want to get an external DAC, but you want a desktop unit with more inputs so that you can add a Chromecast Audio or something, them here are some options:
-JDS Atom DAC+
-SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKIII
-Schiit Modi+
-Topping E30 II
-SMSL D-6
-SMSL SU-6
I think your recommendation of Ugreen fits the bill.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To chime in, the iLoud Micro + a small sub would IMO probably work really good on a small desktop in the ultra-nearfield!

One of the cheapest small studio subs is the Presonus Eris Sub 8, and it would probably work well and take very little floor space. Just note that it doesn't have an auto on/off function.
A smaller but slightly more expensive option is the Adam Sub 7 (here's a link to my measurements) - this one has the auto on/off.

No small sub will play down to 20Hz (or very loud), but should give you solid response down to mid 30-ish Hz in the nearfield - which is IMHO already very satisfying! But a bigger sub is a better choice (performance wise), if you can accomodate it.

I'd also suggest to borrow or buy a measurement mic (e.g. miniDSP UMIK-1 is often recommended) and use REW to integrate the sub and mains, and then implement PEQ corrections with REW + Equalizer APO. That really brings a huge audible benefit to any system!
Here's a link to my post with short explanation on how to do in-room measurements and EQ generation with REW.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a diy PC already you can use the audio straight from the motherboard or even a dedicated sound card. I had an Asus xonar. Very cheap and good quality if the motherboard audio makes annoying noises.

One less box of electronics and wires to deal with.

For music while doing chores I prefer wireless headphones but when I'm working at my computer it's speakers every time.

By the way, I have no hiss from my 305. I think I have the gain set relatively low.

Prana Ferox

I usually listen to music while doing chores.
BT headphones, or get a Qudelix and use that

Realtalk, small speakers and accompanying low watts, nearfield with some semblance of equilateral triangle placement, is one thing. Small speakers and low watts, at a distance, close together, against a wall / in a corner and likely off axis, is not going to sound good. Plus, with headphones you can get comfortably louder without bothering your neighbors, if either of those is a concern, especially with the bass.

OP
A
Are there any thoughts on the Vanatoo T0? They seem to compare.

@Prana Ferox Maybe the best case would be to have both in my case. I have SHP9500 headphones in my closet. Mix that with the Qudelix you suggested, and it's great. :)

OP
A
I bought the Logitech set. Wow, great speakers. I was bored with them in 5 seconds. I returned them and bought the Vanatoo T1E :cool:

My setup is terrible, but I think (and hope) that it will deliver.

Reactions: 617

Palladium

I have iLouds on my desk with the -3dB bass switch enabled, and Topping D50S as the source.

Sounds amazing at 0.5m listening distance and never felt I needed more bass.

OP
A
These speakers are the shit. They are so good. A lot of bass with just the two speakers. I love them.

20221212_175432.jpg

Top Bottom