• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two speakers for computer

Hi,

I need your advice. My sub is broken, and I need to buy a new pair of speakers; I'm using the Logitech Z313. I was thinking to buy a pair of PreSonus Eris E5. I was looking at Amazon reviews, and someone recommended this website. He said that he regretted his choice—by buying the Eris E5. What are your recommendations for an alternative? My budget is 100$-200$ CAD for each speaker. I'm open to buying something cheaper too. I do not have an amp or sound card on my computer. My motherboard is Asus Z370-A.

Thank you.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.

@sweetchaos has lists of recommended passive and active speakers.

OP
A
Welcome to ASR.

@sweetchaos has lists of recommended passive and active speakers.
Thank you!

OP
A
I really like the JBL 305p's but I am worried about one thing. My space is limited on my desk, and I'm not sure if it would fit (or if I would need to buy another desktop table).

With this height, it seems that the speaker would fit just tight with the tweeter under my screen. Community, I need your thoughts on this. The sound would not be at ear levels.

What do I do?

20221128_183500.jpg
20221128_183541.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gondorff

The distance for converging tweeter and main driver on your desk looks short. Looks like the depth of two keyboards, at the most.

Have a look at used Fostex 6301 as one option (https://www.thomannmusic.com/fostex_6301nx.htm?reload=1). They will come with XLR or 6.3mm jacks unbalanced or even with AES input. They should fit under your monitor and, as having only one full rage driver, conversion is not an issue. You might need to raise them in the front to get them pointing at you.

Possibly avoid the oldest models, identified by „made in Japan“: There are a few indicators pointing to failing capacitors. They are generally fine but may need a recap sooner that the ones made elsewhere.

Edit: remembered the measurements below made by @ernestcarl
None. Even I've listened and A/B'd this monitor side-by-side the KH120, Fostex 6301, JBL LSR 305, and the Sceptre S8 in the same room. It's not a perfect studio monitor, but it sounds very good to my ears. It can come off as a bit harsh at higher volumes which I presume it due to the higher distortion esp. above 90 dB. Actually, even the smaller Fostex 6301 plays cleaner than the FX50 above 130 Hz or so...

View attachment 227804 View attachment 227805 View attachment 227806 View attachment 227807

Last edited:
OP
A
Oh my... I didn't know you could buy quality speakers that are that small... :oops:

When I was looking at the JBL 305p's, I thought I could drop 1-1.2k. I thought of buying the sub.

I will read all your replies.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Note that the iLouds will play amazingly deep for 3" monitors, but at higher levels the DSP will start throttling back the low end, which can apparently be disconcerting. Hard to get around the laws of physics after all.

And yes, there are a few quality options in this size class, though not restricting yourself quite that much helps out the choice a lot.

As far as I'm aware the Eris E5s are fine budget 5" monitors for what they are. Something to bust ground loops like a Behringer HD400 is very much a must for these and many other monitors if $100-ish for an audio interface is too much, and they seem to be quite sensitive to RFI, to the point where one user resorting to wrapping them in Al foil (which actually helped).

In your setup I would consider dropping the PC monitors and investigate (generic) wall mounting options for the speakers.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If you can go up to a 4 to 5 inch main driver (2 way system) they will blow away what you have now. If you have a sub then it gets crazy better. You should get a lot of decent recommendations from our ASR members. Most of them own computer speaker set ups. Good Luck and let us know what you get and how they sound to you. That way we all learn a something new. :)

OP
A
The JBLs are very good for the money. I also have a small desk, so I have them on stands on either side. Works nicely.

View attachment 246562
May I ask which stands did you buy?

Note that the iLouds will play amazingly deep for 3" monitors, but at higher levels the DSP will start throttling back the low end, which can apparently be disconcerting. Hard to get around the laws of physics after all.

And yes, there are a few quality options in this size class, though not restricting yourself quite that much helps out the choice a lot.

As far as I'm aware the Eris E5s are fine budget 5" monitors for what they are. Something to bust ground loops like a Behringer HD400 is very much a must for these and many other monitors if $100-ish for an audio interface is too much, and they seem to be quite sensitive to RFI, to the point where one user resorting to wrapping them in Al foil (which actually helped).

In your setup I would consider dropping the PC monitors and investigate (generic) wall mounting options for the speakers.
The speaker stands would do the job too. Would they? @AnalogSteph

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If Bluetooth is not an issue, I always thought Google Nest Audio pair would make a nice little speaker system for the PC... Cheap too.

OP
A
Maybe - it's kind of hard to tell how big your desk is from your photos (maybe take another from further out). Ending up with a 120° stereo triangle isn't exactly ideal either.
20221130_165902.jpg

Behind the desk is about 20 feet of open space. I have very little furniture. I can post more if needed.
20221130_173717.jpg

Attachments

• 20221130_173717.jpg
    20221130_173717.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd just get the iLoud Micro tbh.
A pair of JBL 305P on stands/wall mounts in that space looks troublesome.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tiny - iLoud micro or MTM
Small - Kali Lp-6 (front port and boundary switches are a good idea)

In that space I'd do the small iLouds and maybe upgrade with a sub later if you want. KRK makes some low profile subs.

Last edited:
OP
A
Tiny - iLoud micro or MTM
Small - Kali Lp-6 (front port and boundary switches are a good idea)

In that space I'd do the small iLouds and maybe upgrade with a sub later if you want. KRK makes some low profile subs.
Perhaps the JBL sub with them. Let's say I expand my budget by a bit now: would it be better to get a sub now?

Reactions: 617
Top Bottom