• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two separate single chains utilizing front LR speakers (switching?)

andrasp

I'm new here so apologies if this is going to be a strange question. I searched the forums and did not find much in the way of answering it.

I run a 5.2 setup which I utilize for both home theater (40% of time) and stereo music listening (60% of the time). The music listening signal chain looks like: BlueSound Node -> Denon x3400H -> Monolith amp for all channels -> Speakers. I use SPDIF between the BlueSound Node and the receiver to ensure I get a) room correction DSP + b) dual sub out, utilizing the receiver's internal DAC and preamp outputs.

I've been reading with fascination the content on this forum about using a dedicated DAC + class D monoblocks for stereo audio listening. I'd love to take the plunge, but I need to keep utilizing my front LR speakers for both 2.2 ch music and 5.2 ch home theater. I can't have them connected to both the Monolith amp and the class D monoblocks at the same time. Or can I? Is there some sort of switching solution which allows the same speakers to be easily swapped between signal chains?

If that's not possible, I don't see a way around having to purchase something super expensive like the Anthem AVM 90 ($7.5K) to get a good DAC + room correction, and then have the front LR utilize class D monoblocks while the other 3 channels utilize my existing Monolith amp. This seems like an unreasonably costly path just to solve the speaker switching problem I just presented.

Any ideas for what is the best path here?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd say you've got a great system for most uses....and just use it rather than worry about spec as much. Dacs aren't magic.

OP
A

andrasp

The speakers and subs are already quite great. KEF R11s and dual Rythmik subs. As for room treatments, I have as many as my wife will allow. I'm looking to see if I can make any gains in the other parts of the signal chain and also as some hobby spending.

Top Bottom