• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two of The Same Speakers? Dayton Audio BR-1 Kit?

Lurrus

Hi folks,

I just purchase a preassembled pair of passive bookshelf speakers and upon opening the box, I noticed that both speakers are not symmetrical.

Other folks have purchased the same speakers before in the past and the pictures of the speaker are symmetrical to one another.

The first photo is the actual speakers that I've received. The second photo is the one I found online.

What do you guys think?

Please let me know, thanks!

IMG_20220310_145934980_HDR.jpg

DSC_5707.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I built one of those kits a few years back, mine were symmetrical....contact parts-express/dayton and see if that's not the case any more?

OP
L

Lurrus

I built one of those kits a few years back, mine were symmetrical....contact parts-express/dayton and see if that's not the case any more?
Thanks for your reply. I am a newbie to speakers so please bear with me.

I noticed the sound is more biased towards the left. Is that the result of asymmetrical speakers?

Just an FYI, I am using the same audio equipment and tried this on another pair of different brand symmetrical speakers and it doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Also, these are speakers that I bought from another company, not Dayton Audio/Parts Express Directly.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might explain more about the origin of the speakers. Couldn't tell you why the sound would be biased noticeably to the left, which way are your tweeters oriented? Could be another issue too.

OP
L

Lurrus

Might explain more about the origin of the speakers. Couldn't tell you why the sound would be biased noticeably to the left, which way are your tweeters oriented? Could be another issue too.
I have these speakers placed on the left and right. I tried to angle both tweeters to my ears as equally as possible.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you didn't buy the kits from PE/Dayton, why would they do that? Who did you buy them from? Did you assemble the kits?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have these speakers placed on the left and right. I tried to angle both tweeters to my ears as equally as possible.
Try turning them upside down and see if it shifts the other direction?

OP
L

Lurrus

If you didn't buy the kits from PE/Dayton, why would they do that? Who did you buy them from? Did you assemble the kits?
Sorry let me clarify, should the company I bought these preassembled speakers from, should that company correct this issue by offering the symmetrical boxes instead?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry let me clarify, should the company I bought these preassembled speakers from, should that company correct this issue by offering the symmetrical boxes instead?
I don't know....did they promise such? What company is it? The only company I know that bought kits (and modified them somewhat) was Philharmonic Audio and they'd probably take care of it. Sometimes it's just caveat emptor

ps Are you sure that slight difference in tweeter position is the cause?

OP
L

Lurrus

I don't know....did they promise such? What company is it? The only company I know that bought kits (and modified them somewhat) was Philharmonic Audio and they'd probably take care of it. Sometimes it's just caveat emptor

ps Are you sure that slight difference in tweeter position is the cause?
Buyer beware? I'm confused. These pair of speakers were sold as brand new.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Buyer beware? I'm confused. These pair of speakers were sold as brand new.
They're kits....not sold as complete speakers by the folk that sell them. Philharmonic bought a bunch at one point and modified and assembled them as their Affordable Monitors. Why can't you just post up the details of who you bought them from?

OP
L

Lurrus

They're kits....not sold as complete speakers by the folk that sell them. Philharmonic bought a bunch at one point and modified and assembled them as their Affordable Monitors. Why can't you just post up the details of who you bought them from?
Since I'm a newbie here on the forums, I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to put the company in a negative spotlight.

OP
L

Lurrus

I sent you a private message.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They should come with two different cabinets with opposing tweeter mounting, you definitely got the wrong cabinet.

OP
L

Lurrus

They should come with two different cabinets with opposing tweeter mounting, you definitely got the wrong cabinet.
Thanks for your input. I sent the company an email. Hopefully, they'll correct this problem.

Top Bottom