• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two different sounding earphone on each side

Gunwale

Hi All,

I am new to audio and knows nothing technical.

What happens if we plug two similar or different impedance ear phone onto the same output?

Lets say the output can be SE, balanced or balanced wired to 2 dac on each side.

Can the brain actually auto compensate the differences in sound if they are both tune to compensate each other or will the brain hears deep rumble on 1 side and no rumble on the other?

Thanks

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My DAC has two ouput jacks, in parallel with the driving circuitry.

I've had two different headphones plugged in simultaneously.

Other than a difference in volume levels, related to the sensitivity and impedance differences of the headphones while operating at the same applied voltages, nothing particularly strange occurred.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Perfectly fine to do this.....
Unless the output of the amp is high impedance and you use a splitter.
When the low impedance headphone has a wildly varying impedance the tonal balance of the high impedance headphone might change a little and it will sound a lot softer when the low impedance headphone is plugged in.

You can check this:
Listen to the high impedance headphone while plugging in the low impedance headphone.
When nothing changes (loudness or tone) then it is perfectly fine to use it this way.

But ... there is a little snag here (a warning !)
Suppose you have a high sensitivity low impedance IEM (or headphone) with a power rating of 10mW and leave that connected while listening at loud levels on the high impedance headphone chances are the next time you tuck the IEM in your ears there won't be sound coming out of it any more as it may be blown up.

Top Bottom