• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TVs...

OP
B

buz

Forum Donor
well, OP is at 4-5m
Yes and right now leaning towards 86" LG FALD or 77" OLED.

Might end up moving the couch forward a bit, would ease placing surround speakers, too. So possibly 3.5m.

Couldn't care less about the SOC BTW, Chromecast takes very minimal resources. And is trivially upgraded in case codec support ever becomes an issue. For that reason, I'd be perfectly happy with a dumb screen but alas, pricing for those is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Yes and right now leaning towards 86" LG FALD or 77" OLED.

Might end up moving the couch forward a bit, would ease placing surround speakers, too. So possibly 3.5m.

Couldn't care less about the SOC BTW, Chromecast takes very minimal resources. And is trivially upgraded in case codec support ever becomes an issue. For that reason, I'd be perfectly happy with a dumb screen but alas, pricing for those is beyond ridiculous.
A wise man. 86 or 77 inches of pure bliss. After a year you will think "I could really use a 100 inch screen".. It is very hard to go too big. It can be done but it is harder than it seems.

ChrisHeinonen

Having spent the past decade reviewing TVs, unless ambient light is a large issue, get an OLED. The Samsung QN90A is the only TV I reviewed this year that I could live with as an LCD model, but even it still had big issues compared to getting an OLED. You can get a 65" in your budget, and it will be a bit small from the couch, I'd just move the couch forward. But to me it's an easy decision to get an LG C1 (Sony A80J was much dimmer with HDR when I calibrated them for people).

As for people that don't want a Smart TV, you just have to not connect it to the Internet. The SoC that handles all the processing and color management for the TV also handles the apps, so it's more expensive for companies to design a TV without apps than to design one with them at this point. And 99% of people are going to want them built-in. If you want a display without them, you have to go commercial, which also means no TV tuner and much higher prices since they're designed for different environments.

I really would not recommend going with a lower end oled like the lg b series. I had a 65 inch one and returned it since the black levels were crushed and handled gradients poorly. And overall it was quite dim. The lack of detail in dark parts drove me nuts.

I'd go with a 4k projector if I were you. I ended up settling for a 1080p projector and 120 inch screen to save some money and it's perfect.

OP
B

buz

Forum Donor
A wise man. 86 or 77 inches of pure bliss. After a year you will think "I could really use a 100 inch screen".. It is very hard to go too big. It can be done but it is harder than it seems.
Hard not as much as exponentially more expensive

Willem

Major Contributor
I grew up without television (my parents fortunately wanted me to read books instead), and it wasn't until I was in my fifties that I owned anything more than a small Sony crt tv. We have now had our Panasonic Plasma screen for twelve years, and we are still more than happy. 4K may seem attractive, but Dutch TV does not broadcast in 4K, and Netflix hardly has any art films. The number of UHD Bluray discs also remains relatively small. So for our limited viewing we will just wait until the plasma screen dies. We have connected the TV to the big stereo system for really good sound, and that adds a lot to the realism. All in all I am a bit surprised that people upgrade their TVs as often as they seem to do.

JW001

I grew up without television (my parents fortunately wanted me to read books instead), and it wasn't until I was in my fifties that I owned anything more than a small Sony crt tv. We have now had our Panasonic Plasma screen for twelve years, and we are still more than happy. 4K may seem attractive, but Dutch TV does not broadcast in 4K, and Netflix hardly has any art films. The number of UHD Bluray discs also remains relatively small. So for our limited viewing we will just wait until the plasma screen dies. We have connected the TV to the big stereo system for really good sound, and that adds a lot to the realism. All in all I am a bit surprised that people upgrade their TVs as often as they seem to do.
Pretty much the same with me. But... I love watching football (well, soccer), which I played recreationally in my young years. For that only reason a big screen is indispensable. Also, the thing is, even if one doesn't find an interesting content in 4K, 720 and 1080 looks so much better on a modern 75'' 4K TV. There are many DVD-quality great movies created over the last 30 years. Many classics were restored and are available on DVDs and Blurays (for example, the Criterion Collection). And good cinematic art is still being made internationally and available for streaming.

Last edited:

Yasuo

The biggest size you can get, but LG is not reliable (doesn't last long until issues start to appear; also the webOS suffers from lack of updates and certain features). Best advice is to buy extended warranty and if possible choose an Android TV.

Golfx

Forum Donor
The biggest size you can get, but LG is not reliable (doesn't last long until issues start to appear; also the webOS suffers from lack of updates and certain features). Best advice is to buy extended warranty and if possible choose an Android TV.
I have had a 2019 LG C9 77inch I purchased in November of 2018. I have not had any problems.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’m not aware that LG is any less reliable than other brands. I wouldn’t use any of the apps or smart features at all...why shouldn’t I get an LG? And what’s the better alternative?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I’m not aware that LG is any less reliable than other brands. I wouldn’t use any of the apps or smart features at all...why shouldn’t I get an LG? And what’s the better alternative?
Panasonic if you wish.

Yasuo

I'm just dissapointed I kinda was a fan of LG and do your own diligence, but my experience was not pleasant at all throughout the years... 2 out of 3 LCD TVs had backlight issues and costed nearly half of their price to be repaired - for an older model it completely stopped working and the whole panel had to be replaced and another one has purple/violet areas (caused the by the LEDs, you can find this issue with a simple search) this was a more expensive model at that time (4K HDR). And regarding webOS it gets so slow, just like browsing when using a PC with 100% CPU utilization.

Another case with a friend of mine, a smaller size LG 4K LCD vs a larger Samsung QLED (the later was the last generation, it's true), every setting using the default value an/or disabled (trying to achieve a baseline, with no post processing applied), same source (Netflix in that case and some personal pictures) the quality on the LG TV is very poor. I was expecting the LG to be ultra sharp/crisp (due tot smaller area @ 4K, thus higher pixel density).

Yasuo

Panasonic if you wish.
Yes, had my eyes on Panasonic, Sony or Samsung (QLED is the peak of the LCD tech, the next best thing to OLED).

Another honorable mention is Philips - I was a non believer, but I have seen the (ambi)light! It may sound gimmicky, but you have to see it to believe it, especially when combined with HUE, but I don't to digress :)

Dogen

Forum Donor
I'm just dissapointed I kinda was a fan of LG and do your own diligence, but my experience was not pleasant at all throughout the years... 2 out of 3 LCD TVs had backlight issues and costed nearly half of their price to be repaired - for an older model it completely stopped working and the whole panel had to be replaced and another one has purple/violet areas (caused the by the LEDs, you can find this issue with a simple search) this was a more expensive model at that time (4K HDR). And regarding webOS it gets so slow, just like browsing when using a PC with 100% CPU utilization.

Another case with a friend of mine, a smaller size LG 4K LCD vs a larger Samsung QLED (the later was the last generation, it's true), every setting using the default value an/or disabled (trying to achieve a baseline, with no post processing applied), same source (Netflix in that case and some personal pictures) the quality on the LG TV is very poor. I was expecting the LG to be ultra sharp/crisp (due tot smaller area @ 4K, thus higher pixel density).
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’d thought LG was the leader and I had my eyes set on one, but I’ll do more homework.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is viewing angle, not an issue with OLED or if you are always watching from a bed in bedroom. If trying to save money or buying a TV on a budget there are many LED TVs that have great picture quality, but if room is wide and viewers are near the sides a lot LED TVs start to gray out at wide angles. So when auditioning to buy, progressively step to side of screen and see what happens on few brands.

This is a good point. Before I bought our LG OLED I tried out a few high end QLED's. It didn't take but a few degrees off center before a color shift happened with the LCD's. That's when I tried the OLED and never went back. The difference with off angle viewing is not trivial.

Top Bottom