• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV stand for bookshelf as center channel

just1n

Forum Donor
Community,

I’d like to get a third Revel M106 as a my center, but finding a stand/media center solution hasn’t been successful. Most searches end up with the same short and wide traditional center shelf space. Keeping all speakers the same elevation is really the goal, and understand the TV will be higher than optimal.

I’m considering an IKEA hack, but does anyone know of a stand or solution that might work?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
does anyone know of a stand or solution that might work?
No, that's why I wall mounted the TV and put a tower under it. And in another location, wall mounted to TV and the center is on top of an old custom console. Which didn't cost more than some premade consoles, so maybe you could have something built? I'd sure want the M106. Maybe a premade console with movable/removable shelves? That was the previous solution before wall mounting.

As for the TV being too high, I think that is good. We spend SO much time with our necks looking down, looking up is good in my book. I tilted the TV down so as to remain on-axis, and BONUS glare much reduced from lights at the back of the room.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
No, that's why I wall mounted the TV and put a tower under it. And in another location, wall mounted to TV and the center is on top of an old custom console. Which didn't cost more than some premade consoles, so maybe you could have something built? I'd sure want the M106. Maybe a premade console with movable/removable shelves? That was the previous solution before wall mounting.

As for the TV being too high, I think that is good. We spend SO much time with our necks looking down, looking up is good in my book. I tilted the TV down so as to remain on-axis, and BONUS glare much reduced from lights at the back of the room.
Thanks for the response. I’ve considered looking for something custom but worry about the cost. Wall mounting is not really an option as a renter.

Most media/tv stands have three compartments. Even if I chose to place all three speakers on those shelves I’d need to find a solution for an AVR and a couple other components. Hard to find a single unit to make this all work.

I have found some floor standing TV mounts to elevate the TV high enough to have sit speakers below on a wide console table. Plenty of long and low profile mid-century/Scandinavian furniture out there. The stand’s base may convincingly be hidden such a table.

If I do find something I’ll share it with the forum. I’d really rather not purchase a horizontal center speaker if I don’t have to.

gorb

Forum Donor
Perhaps you could buy something like this freestanding tv mount/cart and just put a normal media cabinet/console in front of it? Definitely a hacky solution but depending on the height of the media cabinet you might be able to fit a bookshelf speaker standing up. You could even use the shelf that is included with the stand if you wanted to.

7isneN2.png

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Perhaps you could buy something like this freestanding tv mount/cart and just put a normal media cabinet/console in front of it? Definitely a hacky solution but depending on the height of the media cabinet you might be able to fit a bookshelf speaker standing up. You could even use the shelf that is included with the stand if you wanted to.

7isneN2.png
That is close to what I was envisioning. It is a little weird, I’ll admit, but it may work.

@JStewart That’s something I hadn’t considered. A little more ‘industrial’ than I had in mind, but definitely the best idea yet for customizing on my own. Thanks a lot for the idea.

Top Bottom