• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Brand new Cherry flavor is good fun if you don't mind weird. It is weird well done.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're looking for a chill lighthearted show but still with complex characters and narratives then only murders in the building is great for you.

Andretti60

If you like car racing (as my nick suggests, I do) I can heartily suggest Formula One, Drive to Survive (Netflix) a documentary for the behind the scene and political conflicts running in Formula One (three seasons so far). Especially because doesn’t focus on big names and big teams, but rather it shows the struggle to survive in a multi billion dollars business.

dwkdnvr

2. I'm a guy, but I love the Gilmore Girls (the original 5 years), which is reputed to be mostly popular with women. Wonderful cast, marvelous writing, funny and touching, razor-sharp dialog. It gains a lot from cultural references that may be getting kind of outdated, but you'll get most of them. This is one of the shows I watch the re-runs over and over when I don't like the new shows.

3. Veronica Mars, especially the first two years, is a coming of age drama where the smart, smart dialog, sharp elbows and humor offset any concern you might have with a genre subject to cliches. Great writers. Kristen Bell is a 90-lb waif of a lead who always grabs attention in the midst of a big, ensemble cast. Nobody could be that sharp and witty, but it's sure fun to watch. A gem, also good for re-runs.
C'mon. You can't offer these 2 up without mentioning Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which IMHO is a much better show than either (although I do like VM). At this point, it's probably a more limited audience that can connect with the superficial campy teen aspect, but if you can the way the underlying Supernatural metaphors support the in-world story is fantastic - absolutely operatic emotional arcs executed remarkably well.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, they ran out of George RR script and couldn't tie up and finish the complex story. It was a mess.
As is so painfully evident in todays movies and tv shows, if you don't have interesting story, the best directors, actors and computer generated scenes and animation don't matter much.

I place blame for the last season squarely on the shoulders of George RR Martin. It was more an outline than a fully vetted story. It was very rushed and very poorly executed. Still, I loved the show.

eriksson

Forum Donor
I place blame for the last season squarely on the shoulders of George RR Martin.
I am not familiar with the details, but from what I remember he wasn't finished writing the story. The show caught up with his writings and the producers had to improvise the last season. But I could be wrong about this.

skerik

Forum Donor
I am not familiar with the details, but from what I remember he wasn't finished writing the story. The show caught up with his writings and the producers had to improvise the last season. But I could be wrong about this.

GRRM had a week long gathering with the producers at his home in New Mexico to go over the outline of the last 2 books with them. So Martin (the poster above) is correct in that GRRM had a hand in it by only giving them an outline, but it's all he had at the time. Book 6, The Winds Of Winter, has been promised for years, still isn't done, and nobody seems to think GRRM will actually finish book 7. The producers didn't have the writing talent to flesh out the final 2 seasons in a way nearly equal to what GRRM had written - characters are changed in nearly unrecognizable ways at times without proper development, major plot points that were foreshadowed for seasons get dropped or inexplicably altered in ways that are typical of standard TV writing but not nuanced books. The first 5-6 seasons are incredibly good and then it spirals down.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
C'mon. You can't offer these 2 up without mentioning Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which IMHO is a much better show than either (although I do like VM). At this point, it's probably a more limited audience that can connect with the superficial campy teen aspect, but if you can the way the underlying Supernatural metaphors support the in-world story is fantastic - absolutely operatic emotional arcs executed remarkably well.
Buffy is tremendous. Angel also quite good. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Firefly, short though it is, also worthwhile.

The Chestnut Man was excellent.

We loved True Blood. Good storylines, well cast, and some wonderful acting.

Captain Marleau and Murder In... - both French are also entertaining. Particularly enjoyed Murder In... for the exposure to the varied locations in France.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like terrible acting, or maybe the English dubbing is done by bad actors. I can't watch with the original Korean soundtrack, because I'm unable to watch the screen while reading subs (ADHD).
The funny thing is that the English dubbing doesn't match English subtitles. They dubbed it in English so that it would closely line up with actors' mouth movements, but the subtitles make more sense to me.

It's way overacted.
This is typical of a lot of Asian productions, including Bollywood. But once you get over this overacting, it's actually a decent show.

Top Bottom