• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm up to date to Episode 7 and I'm feeling the opposite, i.e. just not a great series. At IMDB I gave it a 6/10.

I've been a Tolkien for for over 50 years and, for one thing, I fundamentally object to anything that isn't pure, unadulterated Tolkien. Much of the storylines and plots in RoP are pure invention though they don't necessarily contradict Tolkien's telling of the 2nd Age in the LoTR or its Appendices. So for example, RoP's elevation of Galadriel to commander of the Elvish armies on Middle Earth is concoction possible only because the aforementioned sources are sketchy on Galadriel's activities the 2nd Age. (So for the matter is The Silmarillion.)

Other than that, LoTR: RoP is dramatically unimpressive IMHO. Much better, (though less than superb), is the new House of Dragon series based on G.R.R Martin, which I give 7/10, (to Episode 6 that I've seen).
Agree 100%. Im less precious about deviation from JRR writings but the series, for me, was too ambitious in terms of number of characters/ races/ locations introduced so soon in the story. That, combined with an overly plastic feel in terms of sets, character design led to me not really caring overmuch about anyone and just wanting them TO GET ON WITH IT!

It may pick up in the finale and S2 and onwards but I hope we dont have endless proto hobbit shenanigans for hours on end with the occasional large set piece battle and endless "is HE Sauron?" mysteries.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree 100%. Im less precious about deviation from JRR writings but the series, for me, was too ambitious in terms of number of characters/ races/ locations introduced so soon in the story. That, combined with an overly plastic feel in terms of sets, character design led to me not really caring overmuch about anyone and just wanting them TO GET ON WITH IT!

It may pick up in the finale and S2 and onwards but I hope we dont have endless proto hobbit shenanigans for hours on end with the occasional large set piece battle and endless "is HE Sauron?" mysteries.
Haha!! ~Spoiler alert:~ Yes, HE is Sauron.

But this was very well know by the time of (Queen Regent) Miriel and Pharazôn which is fairly close to the end of the 2nd Age. The chronology of the 2nd Age appears in the Appendices to LoTR, and HERE for whoever cares is a pretty good version of it.

pjn

Well I'm up to date to Episode 7 and I'm feeling the opposite, i.e. just not a great series. At IMDB I gave it a 6/10.

I've been a Tolkien for for over 50 years and, for one thing, I fundamentally object to anything that isn't pure, unadulterated Tolkien. Much of the storylines and plots in RoP are pure invention though they don't necessarily contradict Tolkien's telling of the 2nd Age in the LoTR or its Appendices. So for example, RoP's elevation of Galadriel to commander of the Elvish armies on Middle Earth is concoction possible only because the aforementioned sources are sketchy on Galadriel's activities the 2nd Age. (So for the matter is The Silmarillion.)

Other than that, LoTR: RoP is dramatically unimpressive IMHO. Much better, (though less than superb), is the new House of Dragon series based on G.R.R Martin, which I give 7/10, (to Episode 6 that I've seen).
Totally agree on the underwhelming start. I'm also a huge Tolkien fan - loved the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales - but this is a bit of "fan fiction" so in that regard I take as it is and let it skirt around "the truth". Not really much different from many film adaptations of books (although rather more extreme, as it wanders off topic mostly!). It is rare that the film is as good as the book (although the first LOTR film did pretty well). It is definitely not "great"! But good fun escapism.

pjn

But this was very well know by the time of (Queen Regent) Miriel and Pharazôn which is fairly close to the end of the 2nd Age. The chronology of the 2nd Age appears in the Appendices to LoTR, and HERE for whoever cares is a pretty good version of it.
That is a useful timeline - I was wondering about all that and whether I'd have to start digging through the books which I haven't read for a long time. Thanks! The mythology Tolkien constructed is so rich!

Triliza

Forum Donor

Can you please put that spoiler alert on a spoiler tag. That is a mega spoiler, not everyone has read the books :)

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning

posvibes

If it hasn't already been mentioned I highly recommend Halt & Catch Fire, even the last season which I was a bit iffy about:

1665610638956.jpeg

Dogen

Forum Donor
Crash Landing on You, a Korean romantic adventure comedy drama. Among shows that set out to entertain, this is exceptionally well done.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you please put that spoiler alert on a spoiler tag. That is a mega spoiler, not everyone has read the books :)
Oh, sorry, won't do it again.

Saw the season finale last night, Episode 8. I like the correct Tolkien connections:
  1. Halbrand is revealed to be Sauron. This is correct in that Sauron advised Celebrimbor on fabrication of the three Elvish rings-of-power. OTOH, in my reading I believe that maybe Sauron possibly identified himself as Annatar to Celebrimbor, but certainly not Halbrand. Also, the the Three Rings were forged in S.A. 1590 whereas the Series story is set around the death of Numenor's king, Tar-Palantir, S.A. 3255 -- but what's 1700 year between friends.;)
  2. The Stranger is revealed to be an Istari (a.k.a. Wizard). Clearly from his powers, The Strangers is not an Elf or human, (or Hobbit); consistent with Tolkien's races, he would be Maiar. Those evil ladies who mistook him for Sauron were presumably lessor Maiar.
Gandalf was on of three Istari who were Maiar and send by the Valar to Middle Earth to help in the struggle against Sauron; it's not clear that The Stranger is Gandalf rather one of the others. However none of the Istari arrived in M.E 'till about T.A. 1000 or about 1200 years after the period of the Series.
Fun Fact: According to actual Tolkien timelines, Galadriel would be approximately 5100 years old :oops: at the time of Series story, S.A. 3255 based on the death of king Tar-Palantir.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjn

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just started watching Ipcress File series on AMC - suprisingly good. Even got the original movie to compare later.....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I very much am entertained by this guys reviews of TV shows. He just did his review of the Rings of Power finale last week. I found all of his complaints about RoP matched my own pretty much all the way down the line.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Foundation" on Apple TV+. Isaac Asimov classic.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Horribly boring. The original novel was not a thriller either but this series manages to beat it in boredom.
Love it. Loved the books as well. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Top Bottom