• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed - except that once you get to season three you begin to understand why it is not a good idea to send people with a short fuse into space. Or people who are druggies. Or kids.
But the premise (actually several premises) is great fun. Loved the 60s technology in the first part of the first season
Shhhhh, still on season 1. Though I suspected it might go south after a couple of seasons.

pjn

Shhhhh, still on season 1. Though I suspected it might go south after a couple of seasons.
Sorry! I'd suggest sticking with it even if it gets flaky in parts. I nearly gave up about 3 times. Lots of fun and plenty of engaging subplots. The Expanse it ain't, but it is excellent entertainment

Triliza

Forum Donor
I have tried twice to watch this show, some of my friends that I trust their judgement highly recommend it, but I don't seem to be able to get even past the first episode. I'll skip on this one, I'd suggest Mad Men if someone is in the same position as me.

pjn

I have tried twice to watch this show, some of my friends that I trust their judgement highly recommend it, but I don't seem to be able to get even past the first episode. I'll skip on this one, I'd suggest Mad Men if someone is in the same position as me.
Foundation, also on Apple TV, is rather good - and certainly better.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anybody mentioned The Knick?
MV5BMTQ5NzcyNDc5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMyOTY5NjE@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: pjn

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
'House of the Dragon' is not cuttin' it with me (=meh yawn!) but the Missus enjoys it.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
'House of the Dragon' is not cuttin' it with me (=meh yawn!) but the Missus enjoys it.
Yes, I think it's really slow and none of the characters seem particularly interesting or charismatic; I'm finding it rather dull.

If you think back to the first few episodes of Game of Thrones, we were introduced to the Starks, Theon Greyjoy, Robert Baratheon, Tyrion, Jamie and Cerci Lanister all of which went on to have really good character arcs and were interesting, shocking or amusing right from the outset.

Digital Mastering System

No. The best series ever made is undoubtedly Edgar Reitz' Heimat trilogy. First series was broadcast in the early 80s, the second series in the mid 90s and third in early 2000s. Absolutely mesmerizing tv. Sadly only the first series is available on blu-ray with English subtitles but all of them can be found on DVD.

Agreed. Watched this at my university's film society. It's great and at least 40hrs long.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Late to this thread but not too late: (EDIT: extended, added links, in no particular order)

Last edited:

odarg64

Van Der Valk (PBS in U.S.). Entertaining police drama with dry humor. Not too gory.

Derry Girls season 3 comes to Netflix on 10-7. It's about time!

Andysu

Major Contributor
star trek " space seed "

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm still in the process of watching The Chosen. Takes me a while to finish any series.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Dahmer is pretty damn insane. Reality was even worse.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Archer

pjn

The Rings of Power has begun to shape up - I was a little bit skeptical at first, feeling it fell somewhere between the excellent LOTR and the execrable "Hobbit" but it is beginning to find its story with episode 6 - I see it has a separate thread...

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Rings of Power has begun to shape up - I was a little bit skeptical at first, feeling it fell somewhere between the excellent LOTR and the execrable "Hobbit" but it is beginning to find its story with episode 6 - I see it has a separate thread...
Well I'm up to date to Episode 7 and I'm feeling the opposite, i.e. just not a great series. At IMDB I gave it a 6/10.

I've been a Tolkien for for over 50 years and, for one thing, I fundamentally object to anything that isn't pure, unadulterated Tolkien. Much of the storylines and plots in RoP are pure invention though they don't necessarily contradict Tolkien's telling of the 2nd Age in the LoTR or its Appendices. So for example, RoP's elevation of Galadriel to commander of the Elvish armies on Middle Earth is concoction possible only because the aforementioned sources are sketchy on Galadriel's activities the 2nd Age. (So for the matter is The Silmarillion.)

Other than that, LoTR: RoP is dramatically unimpressive IMHO. Much better, (though less than superb), is the new House of Dragon series based on G.R.R Martin, which I give 7/10, (to Episode 6 that I've seen).

Last edited:
Top Bottom