• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To contest the sickly saccharin of The Expanse:

Raised By Wolves
A Ridley Scott project. A cerebral slowburner that expertly treads the line between confusion and intrigue throughout. No cheap foghorn scored pan zoomed plot clues being hammered into the viewer here, it drip feeds the narrative in a way that demands your concentration and assumes your intelligence. Stunning cinematography, exceptionally gritty score and brilliantly cast. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The second season of this one is premiering in two weeks too.

D

Deleted member 23424

Screenshot_20220113-182520_Instagram.jpg

Not sure how easy this week be for non UK residents to find, but this is sensational. The first series was as daft as a brush, irreverent, surreal nonsense of the highest order. Season 2 begins in a few weeks on BBC2.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
dODs
Surely you don't actually say, "If you like it, it's good music"?!
If they for instance say, The Spice Girls, your impeccable good taste would require some sort of a correction for Gawd's sake!
Certainly, my own consummate taste in all things cultural, has been more a curse than a blessing. :rolleyes:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit OT.

I live outside the US...
Netflix seems to be the only company to have understood that we are now living in a global village. I have Amazon prime but have to purchase or rent too many shows... even Prime made shows... No Disney presence outside the US, or Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max or ...
Back on topic.

Upon some members recommendations, I watched the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries (reboot) and promptly purchased the rebooted season 1. A very good show BTW. No spolier here but it aged better than most Sci-Fi shows: Intrinsic to the plot is the reluctance/avoidance of networked computers or too advanced technologies... They even used pen and paper (!) in the show .. I can't believe I missed it entirely. I am a Sci-Fi fan.

Peace

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23424

dODs
Surely you don't actually say, "If you like it, it's good music"?!
If they for instance say, The Spice Girls, your impeccable good taste would require some sort of a correction for Gawd's sake!
Certainly, my own consummate taste in all things cultural, has been more a curse than a blessing. :rolleyes:
I do. If a track makes an individual happy/sad/or whatever it set out to then it has succeeded. If you like that insufferable fucknut Justin Bieber's new record then, for you, Justin Bieber's new record is good music. What anyone else thinks of it is irrelevant.

I have my tastes, I don't expect anyone else to like what I like though. Nor do I care if they do. I like it therefore it's good, for me, for my ears and my brain.

ElNino

No Disney presence outside the US
Disney+ is arguably better outside the US. There's a whole section of Disney+ (called "Disney Star") with adult-oriented content that's available in most international markets but not for US-based Disney+ subscribers. In some international markets, Disney+ also has ESPN sports content.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
In fact, as far as I can make out, the only place to watch "The Walking Dead", is on Disney+, which I find hilarious.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just abandoned The Expanse after 8 episodes. Quite simply one of the shittest shows I've ever seen.
Based on previous ASR recommendations of TheExpanse; we watched the first 3 episodes and neither of us were fully convinced yet!
But, her idea was that maybe we should take your recommendation and hold-out until the S01E08 before either of us will gong it or forge ahead.
Our house rule, with watching movies together, is that either of us can gong a movie (no matter the reason) within the first 10 minutes of the start.
It's literally Sunset Beach In Space. Beyond awful. Clunky writing, possibly the worst score ever recorded, cheesy clichéd casting, wooden acting, insultingly spoonfed narrative, rammed full of more American cheese than a CSI boxset and presented in the dumb cliffhanger manner of a low budget daytime soap. It's more comedy than sci-fi, but laughing at not with.
Please do tell us how you REALLY feel about TheExpanse...:D

I really should have used our house 'gong' rule on 'No Time to Die": Neither of us would have been sooooooooo disappointed w/it...

Larry B. Larabee

Is Yellowstone any good or is one of the seasons of Yellowstone good?
Kevin Costner is the poster-child of 'I'm not acting' actors so the idea that this series could be any good is as likely as Nancy Pelosi liquidating her stock holdings.
My wife wants to watch it and 'she who must be obeyed' won't suffer dissapointment lightly so, you better be right about your opinion of the show, for my sake.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Yellowstone any good or is one of the seasons of Yellowstone good?
Kevin Costner is the poster-child of 'I'm not acting' actors so the idea that this series could be any good is as likely as Nancy Pelosi liquidating her stock holdings.
My wife wants to watch it and 'she who must be obeyed' won't suffer dissapointment lightly so, you better be right about your opinion of the show, for my sake.
It is good, but over the top in my opinion. You can overlook it some, but over a few episodes it becomes too much.

The Pre-quel 1883 is better according to my opinion.

Without knowing your wife I'd say watch a couple of each yourself prior to any such suggestions.

Larry B. Larabee

It is good, but over the top in my opinion. You can overlook it some, but over a few episodes it becomes too much.

The Pre-quel 1883 is better according to my opinion.

Without knowing your wife I'd say watch a couple of each yourself prior to any such suggestions.
Thanks, Having the prequel and Yellowstone available from the same source is a plus. Having no intention of watching and having a wife who is let's say impressionable this could afford me some weeks of unmolested music listening and beer drinking. Happy wife, happy life.

pavnov

Some of my favs and recommendations -
  • Sherlock
  • Line of duty
  • House of cards (didn't watch the final season. The episodes directed by Robin Wright need special mention)
  • Hannibal (I watched majority of the episodes while I was high - it was like watching art unfolding)
  • La Mante
  • Suburra
  • Dexter (the first episode is the litmus test)
  • Breaking bad

Kegemusha

• Sherlock
  • Line of duty
  • House of cards (didn't watch the final season. The episodes directed by Robin Wright need special mention)
  • Hannibal (I watched majority of the episodes while I was high - it was like watching art unfolding)
  • La Mante
  • Suburra
  • Breaking bad
Sadly House of Cards final season, to me was a dissaster, the worst ever, dont watch it.

Zoomer

The theme music from Yelowstone had a very familiar melody to my ears.

Took me a couple of episodes (and a reddit thread) to pinpoint it:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Sherlock
  • Line of duty
  • La Mante
  • Suburra
  • Breaking bad

Speaking of episodes directed by Robin Wright - check out the last two episodes of Ozark season 4 part 1. That series is finishing with a bang.

Martin

pavnov

Speaking of episodes directed by Robin Wright - check out the last two episodes of Ozark season 4 part 1. That series is finishing with a bang.

Martin
Aha, will most certainly do. Thank you :)

Top Bottom