• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

ADU

Major Contributor
KUNGFU.jpg

"Kung Fu" (1972-1975)

ADU

Major Contributor
So, no one has mentioned either The Wire or The Sopranos yet?!? :rolleyes:

Haven't seen em. Or "Game of Thrones"* or "Mad Men" for that matter. That's what this topic is for though!

(*I did watch the first season of GoT on DVD.)

Last edited:

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, no one has mentioned either The Wire or The Sopranos yet?!? :rolleyes:

In 2002 I remember starting The Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield at the same time. I only ended up finishing The Shield, and I cannot do justice to how good it is. IMHO (and in many others too), The Shield is the greatest modern television series, part of the wave that brought deeper characterization and cinematic rigor to television. It is certainly the most outwardly "entertaining" of the big three (and hence treated as less prestigious) but I truly feel that it has aged the best.

Prior to the pandemic I tried to rewatch all three series. I had wanted to introduce my wife to The Shield and she was floored by it. We then started to watch the Sopranos, but--and I hate to say it--apart from some scattered, absolutely brilliant episodes, it was awful to watch. We only lasted 3 seasons. Simply, a lot of bombast masks a lot of bad and amateurish decisions by the creators. The Christopher character is so poorly acted and lazily written (at least for the first three seasons) it was unbearable to us. I really would love to talk about it with people that watch it with fresh eyes.

We are hoping to start The Wire again soon. I'm just worried that the way the country has turned out since it ended will attenuate a lot of its potency.

Anyways, watch The Shield. It kicks ass if you love shows that kick ass but it is even better than you can imagine. The characters are all so well written (gotta love Dutch) and fabulously acted (Chiklis won Emmys year after year for this but people like CCH Pounder are just unbelievable in it.) This is the show that is the favorite of your favorite television creators. By the last few seasons the guest characters included some of the finest actors on the planet (no spoilers), which was insane if you think about the status of TV in the early 2000s.

I LOVED the ending of The Sopranos, but The Shield still has the best ending I've seen.

p184790_b_v8_ap.jpg

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
"Breaking Bad" is the best TV series ever made IMO
No. The best series ever made is undoubtedly Edgar Reitz' Heimat trilogy. First series was broadcast in the early 80s, the second series in the mid 90s and third in early 2000s. Absolutely mesmerizing tv. Sadly only the first series is available on blu-ray with English subtitles but all of them can be found on DVD.

USER

Forum Donor
No. The best series ever made is undoubtedly Edgar Reitz' Heimat trilogy. First series was broadcast in the early 80s, the second series in the mid 90s and third in early 2000s. Absolutely mesmerizing tv. Sadly only the first series is available on blu-ray with English subtitles but all of them can be found on DVD.

Oh man, I still think of prestigious European television as something beyond television. I would put works by Fassbinder (from Berlin Alexanderplatz to Martha) up there too. But I mean, when people like Ingmar Bergman, Krzysztof Kieslowski, or even Lars von Trier make tv series or specials it's just not fair.

Madeintooting

Edge of Darkness, the original BBC series, not the US remake, air of menace throughout, Eric Clapton theme music.

Hill Street Blues, precursor to many of the later US cop shows like "The Wire", etc.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there have been some great TV shows recently. The Expanse is the best science fiction show ever in my opinion, and I think Bosch is a brilliant show. I find the Jack Ryan series on Amazon very enjoyable.
Looking further back I love Parks and Recreation and The Shield. I thought Doctor Who was great until the Peter Capaldi era, Capaldi was great but the stories nose dived and the last few seasons have really lost their way. The Matt Smith era was brilliant.

ZööZ

I think there have been some great TV shows recently. The Expanse is the best science fiction show ever in my opinion, .
Totally agree, have to buy the books and read them through in near future.

Top Bottom