• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Tks

Major Contributor
It's animated and based on a computer game - two things that would normally turn me right off. However, it had a lot of glowing reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's excellent.

The animation tech seems very pioneering. Usually I am very fast to write-off CG/3D hybrid work but this is exceptionally good looking.

posvibes

index.jpg

D

Deleted member 19122

Great cast and three seasons to watch if yer late to the party....

Khmike

Legion. After decades of mind-numbing efforts, not too many shows can make me say, out loud, "what?".......... over, and over, and over again. Rinse, repeat.
Devs. Just. Watch. It.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Legion. After decades of mind-numbing efforts, not too many shows can make me say, out loud, "what?".......... over, and over, and over again. Rinse, repeat.
Devs. Just. Watch. It.
What he says, unique experience, from the beginning to the end.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I like Suits a lot. I feel like in a long time, that I actually care for the characters, and the drama and dialog, is not too much of an unnecessary mess.
And Louis Litt is really special in both being funny and crazy, but still strangely likeable.

suits-on-netflix.jpg
I enjoyed Suits also. I haven't got to the end yet.

I don't watch celebrity news so I wondered for a while why the actor who plays Rachel Zane wasn't better known—without realising she's the Duchess of Sussex.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
You may be right, the first episode was a trip, I'll continue.
Devs. Just. Watch. It.
Yes, I've seen that one. Quite good, likely under-rated.

JWAmerica

Severance is very good. First season just ended.

Edit: I see it's already been recommended.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Ok, so many shows, so little time.

Some recent shows mentioned already that I'd also recommend (in no particular order): Brand New Cherry Flavour, Warrior Nun, Queen's Gambit, The Boys, Severance, The OA, Tales from the Loop, Giri/Hadji, Messiah, The End of the F*cking World, Lucifer ...

A few not mentioned (unless I missed them early in the thread):

Dickinson: on Apple TV+. Somewhat novel treatment of the poet's life as a smart teen comedy/drama. Hailee Steinfeld is very good (she's also the voice of Vi in Arcane). It works for adults, you may like if you liked say Veronica Mars. It's poignant and a bit dark at times when people die (as they did in her life). Her dialogs with Death, and use of poetry snippets to frame each episode are sublime. With occasional out-of-period music to comic effect. Also the hallucinatory bee. And the send-up of Thoreau. And many other things. I think it's one of the best shows on television (if we still call it television). Three seasons total.

Euphoria: on HBO. Shouldn't need an introduction (it's HBO's most-watched show after GoT) but I didn't see it mentioned. Excellent soundtrack and cinematics. Among the leads, Zendaya and Hunter Schafer are great. Not an understated show, especially as the second season dials everything up to emotional and stylistic saturation. On season two but ongoing (I'll have to check out the original Israeli version at some stage to compare).

Evil: from CBS but I get it via Paramount+. Written by Michelle and Robert King (who did The Good Wife, The Good Fight and BrainDead—which is also great and under-rated). You get to see Mike Colter (aka Luke Cage) play an exorcist-priest-in-waiting and Katja Herbers is fantastic as the sceptical partner (there's a certain X-Files dynamic) but the demonic surrealism is played both ways. The frequent scenes with her four young daughters who all talk at high speed and simultaneously but somehow deliver coherent dialog defy my imagination production-wise (ad-lib or 100 takes? I don't know how they do that). Michael Emerson (from Person of Interest) makes an interesting demon (or maybe he's Satan, we'll see). Ongoing with the third season coming.

Grand Army: on Netflix. Somewhat grittier variant of the high-school misfit drama. Unknown actors. If you can get through the condom scene in the first episode you'll be on your way. Based on Katie Cappiello's play (shows based on existing material are somewhat less likely to fall into writers' room plot looping/decay and trope infestations, assuming the material was good to start with). But only one season (seems Netflix doesn't stay the course on anything mildly risky these days).

That's not far into the alphabet, but I best get on with the chores. I haven't tried to list the classics. There's some good advice upthread.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DMZ on HBO max. Only 4 episodes and that's it however.

F

freemansteve

*= ones I liked a lot, but all worthy IMHO:

A Confession
A Very British Scandal (720p, HEVC)
A Very English Scandal
American Gods
Ashes To Ashes
*Babylon 5
*Black Sails
Blood
Bodyguard