• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

Rick63

Can you (or do you) record the content on an over-the-air DVR; so that you can skip the #$%^ commercials?

Not sure as I don't have a DVR device, but it would be nice. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure as I don't have a DVR device, but it would be nice. :)
I don't know if this article would be worth browsing:
...The over-the-air DVR market has narrowed considerably, and it looks as though the DRM (digital rights management) technology in NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0) could further undermine it.
Amazon dropped out of the DVR business by discontinuing the Fire TV Recast in 2022, and TiVo has lost interest in DVRs as it focuses on streaming. Meanwhile, it’s been years since any new companies have entered the over-the-air DVR fray...

Rick63

I suppose The Drew Carey Show would be considered modern by my standards, but I love the show and I was very happy to see AntennaTV recently add it to their lineup!

cyclo

I liked the 1st episode, looking forward to the watching the rest of them. I was reminded of The Nine Billion Names of God at the end of the 1st episode (I'm not suggesting that there is any connection, it just made me think of it)
It gets better in the next episodes... Episode 5 which I watched last night was, without getting into spoilers, nuts! :)

ExPerfectionist

A few series I've watched recently:

The Brothers Sun on Netflix -- starts off a little campy, but overall turned out to be pretty good with strong cast/performances (including Michelle Yeoh), humor. Good if you like HK action/gangster movies.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple TV -- well-done, good cast of characters, tells background and side story / origin in Godzilla universe

Abbott Elementary on Hulu/ABC -- good wholesome ensemble cast show similar in style and tone to The Office and Modern Family, set in a poor Philadelphia elementary school

Ripley on Netflix - haven't watched this yet, but just came out and looks pretty good - B/W noir thriller about a con man

True Detective Season 4 on HBO/Max

Severance on Apple TV - dark psychological mind-bender/mind-f about office workers who come to "office" and have separate memories at work and outside of work (parts of brain "severed" to be separate)

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have watched two seasons of "The Red Door", Walter Presents. Smashing plot and a great score. Wonderful recurring use of the funeral dirge from Beethoven's 7th.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I enjoyed this:

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I started watching Ripley last night on Netflix, and I have to say it's probably the most visually stunning program I've ever seen. (I suppose some might find it "distracting" in a way? But I personally don't feel that the extraordinary style detracts from the story.) Every single shot is gorgeously done. I am in awe! It would be a waste of course if the masterly cinematography wasn't in service of a great tale, but just from the first episode, I'm not worried that it will be an issue. We'll see. :D

Top Bottom