• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Sales Dying?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is interesting. In the last two years, several friends have abandoned TV altogether. I've a nice 120 inch projector and nice 5.1 surround rig in a large room. Those friends will get together for some live sports or recent movies at my house. Otherwise regular TV is a phone or tablet event to them individually. Gathering at my house is more an occasional social event. An excuse to get together and make special meals etc. for select events.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I still have the last and greatest ZT65 plasma delivered from US in 2013. It’s picture quality still stands strong vs my other set - LG OLED. 1080p plasma still unbeaten in moving scene sharpness even with 8K LCD/OLED

maty

Major Contributor
I love my Panasonic plasma. In some months, ten years old. But it has kidnapped (family and bad recordings) my main system -> hence my cheap second system. I have hardly seen general television for years.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
My 42inch Panasonic plasma was retired due to image retention from a Panasonic DVR menu. I could have tolerated the 500W consumption otherwise. My mid-level Sony 55 inch replacement has inferior picture quality but I have got used to it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
we have two TVs -- which we basically never watch.
This is the 'big' one, which my parents purchased new ca. 1983 and passed along to us many, many years ago. It's got zillions of hours on it, it's been repaired once, and it works fine. :)

1580998883744.png

We do have a little (EDIT) LCD TV upstairs in the bedroom... which I found on the side of the road and took a chance on.

... and, yeah, not that anyone asked :)

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that TV sales are dying or will die in the foreseeable future. What HAS died is the market for high priced premium "Brand Name" TV. 10 years ago flat panel TVs over $1000 were a mass market item. What changed is that great TV technology is now available for $200.

There is nothing at all wrong with the smart TVs put out by TCL/Hisense/Element etc. for prices that would seem to barely cover the shipping.

There will always be a few souls who are willing to pay 5 times as much for a performance increase that most viewers would not even notice. The same is true in audio. So yes...the market for and profitability of Premium brand TVs like Panasonic has dropped a lot. Any profit now seems to come from streaming services/platforms like Roku and Echo enabled TV...rather than the hardware.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that TV sales are dying or will die in the foreseeable future. What HAS died is the market for high priced premium "Brand Name" TV. 10 years ago flat panel TVs over $1000 were a mass market item. What changed is that great TV technology is now available for $200.

There is nothing at all wrong with the smart TVs put out by TCL/Hisense/Element etc. for prices that would seem to barely cover the shipping.

There will always be a few souls who are willing to pay 5 times as much for a performance increase that most viewers would not even notice. The same is true in audio. So yes...the market for and profitability of Premium brand TVs like Panasonic has dropped a lot. Any profit now seems to come from streaming services/platforms like Roku and Echo enabled TV...rather than the hardware.

I find low quality TVs annoying. I watch most of my shows on a 13" OLED laptop, though.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find low quality TVs annoying. I watch most of my shows on a 13" OLED laptop, though.
Low priced no longer equates to low quality. Check out the reviews/tests of any current TCL TV...or just go to Best Buy and try to distinguish the cheap sets from the name brand.

There certainly is a minority of people who are annoyed by LCD screens vs OLED. A good friend of mine who gets migraines is like that. But....it is a minority. So very few laptops, tablets and phones or TVs use OLED.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find OLED immensely superior to LED. I still use LEDs for low quality work, like black and white text. I had an LED phone for a while, but I'm back to OLED. Easier on the eyes for sure.

As for BB, I can absolutely distinguish the cheap from the expensive, the OLED from the LED, and the quality from the crap. They carry it all. TVs are much easier to distinguish from audio.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This suggests otherwise...

Interesting. But, for 18-34 year-olds if you add the 19% who answered TV to the 15% who answered Video Game Console (which is a source and normally uses a TV as the display) and the 11% for "Connected TV" you get close to the same number as everyone else.

I am not at all doubting that Smartphones and Laptops have absorbed significant viewing time. Its just that TVs cost so little now that most homes will continue to have them. I wonder how many young football fans went to a Superbowl party where everyone watched on their own phone.

The article conflated the withdrawal of Panasonic from the TV market as symptomatic of the death of TV. Panasonic no longer sells electric toothbrushes either (at least in the U.S.)...that doesn't mean people no longer brush teeth.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still watch VHS movies on my CRT sometimes. Assuming your tape has not deteriorated too much, the picture quality can look astoundingly detailed. It is of course heavily dependent on the comb filter in your display, or your tape deck.

DB58A718-40BE-45C4-A071-32F09DAA3A37.jpeg

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you mean LCD rather than LED. You can get LCDs with LED backlighting, but they're still LCDs - even though they are often marketed as LED.

LCD panels with LED backlights are almost always referred to as LED TVs. They have been for years.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched at a Superbowl party. There was a projector in one room and an LCD tv (not sure if LED) in the other. TVs are still for the group experience.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LCD panels with LED backlights are almost always referred to as LED TVs. They have been for years.

Yes I realise that. They may be marketed as 'LED TVs', but they do not include LED panels. Referring to them as LED TVs is technically incorrect and not very ASR.

Top Bottom