• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV->RPi->DAC possible?

thetrystero

If a DAC doesn't have enough inputs (like say the d10 balanced), can I plug the TV (via either toslink or RCA) in to the RPi streamer instead? If so would the sound coming out be any different that if the TV were to be directly connected to the DAC?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'd go with the switch box and a DAC with at least one spdif/toslink input too, but that's not an option with the d10s/d10b. The tricky part with the Pi is that the source (TV toslink) and the DAC (d10b) each have their own clock running at slightly different rates, so to avoid glitches you need something between them to do ASRC. Camilladsp should be able to do this, and let you do EQ and/or room correction at the same time. Having said that I've not actually tried recording from the toslink input on a Pi hat yet, so there could be other gotchas I'm not aware of.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
T

thetrystero

I'd go with the switch box and a DAC with at least one spdif/toslink input too, but that's not an option with the d10s/d10b. The tricky part with the Pi is that the source (TV toslink) and the DAC (d10b) each have their own clock running at slightly different rates, so to avoid glitches you need something between them to do ASRC. Camilladsp should be able to do this, and let you do EQ and/or room correction at the same time. Having said that I've not actually tried recording from the toslink input on a Pi hat yet, so there could be other gotchas I'm not aware of.
Yikes! Sounds bad. I'll just get a DAC with more inputs then

OP
T

thetrystero

how about if i were to use the HDMI out from the TV in to the HDMI in of the RPi? would that work?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
how about if i were to use the HDMI out from the TV in to the HDMI in of the RPi? would that work?
The Pi doesn't have an HDMI input, just output. It might be possible to use one of the USB connected HDMI capture devices with it - they're usually aimed at gamers streaming to Twitch from the HDMI port of their console, but I've no idea about drivers and software for them on a Pi. If you can make that work it will still have the issue of different clocks, just like the spdif/toslink, so you're back to a DAC with more inputs.

Before you decide on a DAC check the E30 thread regarding possible SPDIF/toslink compatibility issues. The AKM fire had reduced availability of the receivers some manufacturers were using, and some are having issues with the replacements they've chosen. It seems like there aren't clear answers to compatibility, just some more uncertainty to be aware of.

Top Bottom