• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Repair: some days you are unlucky...

Tks

Major Contributor
@Sal1950

Sorry to say Sal, but OLED will forever have this issue to some degree or another. The best case scenario is they introduce new formulations of the organic compounds that burn out as fast as the other compounds responsible for other colors being represented (this is why there is no real "burn in", it's mostly a "burning out" of the organic material at different rates than the other compounds responsible for the other colors). And that is what leads to the "burn-in" perceived effect. Same as I said to Amir, if you plan on replacing TV's as fast as you replace smartphones (like the people that usually change phones every few years), then OLED will be fine for TV use. For desktop use, I'd go as so far as to say, you have to be one of those lunatic Apple fanatics that replaces their smartphone per-year.

Things are getting better. But as we're seeing with a bunch of industries, there are some hard-limits being approached for what is market viable. I feel OLED is hitting that limit essentially. While the promise of microLED seems poised to replace it hopefully within a decade or so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What you're basically saying is, OLED is ready for prime time with desktop use.
No, no. It will be quite annoying to watch the desktop move or have it dynamically change brightness/luminance of certain sections. You would have to turn these modes off and deal with reduced lifetime/burning.

Tks

Major Contributor
This is a different feature and has nothing to do with the logo protection. It is designed to reduce the impact of static images like the program guide or paused DVR picture. In these cases pixel shift will definitely change the drive level (think of text over black).

Yes I am aware of the marketing pitch of what it's purported to do. I've not seen a technical breakdown on how that actually pans out in reality.

Tks

Major Contributor
No, no. It will be quite annoying to watch the desktop move or have it dynamically change brightness/luminance of certain sections. You would have to turn these modes off and deal with reduced lifetime/burning.

Precisely, but I don't want the luminance shifts on TV viewing either, and as I said, the luminance output is simply one portion of the burning out process. The fact that the color remains, is the other. It's not just luminance that is tied to this ordeal.

Promit

I assume Samsung makes products that are not complete garbage, but I have yet to encounter one. The phones/tablets, appliances, electronics, etc are all absolute trash. Now that they own Harman I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they completely destroy that division too. I have no intention of putting money towards anything labeled Samsung ever again.

Tks

Major Contributor
I assume Samsung makes products that are not complete garbage, but I have yet to encounter one. The phones/tablets, appliances, electronics, etc are all absolute trash. Now that they own Harman I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they completely destroy that division too. I have no intention of putting money towards anything labeled Samsung ever again.

Meh I avoid them since they're pretty much run by crooks of the highest tier. Bribing the president of a country.. Just wow.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
@Sal1950
For desktop use, I'd go as so far as to say, you have to be one of those lunatic Apple fanatics that replaces their smartphone per-year.

Well I wouldn't know that, I use my phone maybe once or twice a week and Apple is nowhere in sight.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well I wouldn't know that, I use my phone maybe once or twice a week and Apple is nowhere in sight.
I still have a flip phone, it makes perfect phone calls, has been near free when replacement was in order, and is dirt cheap to make calls. It's for emergency communication needs when I'm away from home, that's it.

mansr

Major Contributor
Well strange things do happen. We were hanging out in the garage way back in the 60s while by buddy Fred was changing the starter on his car. He somehow accidentally got his wedding ring in position to short the main + cable to ground. The ring turned bright red instantly and welded itself in position for a second or two. Burned his finger right down to the bone and the doc's at the hospital had to do surgery on it a couple times to save the finger, but it never was right again.
It wasn't the voltage or even the current that injured him but the heat. A car battery can easily deliver hundreds of amps, enough to make most any piece of metal red-hot or even melt. Even so, due to the low voltage, if you touch the terminals with your bare hands, the biggest risk you're facing is lead poisoning.

As a general safety measure, it's good practice to remove all jewellery before working on machinery (or climbing ladders).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cell/Smart phones are the work of the Devil. :eek: