• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV & Music ... from the same speakers?

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I have searched and searched, and I have not found a simple answer...
I have a pair of passive speakers, an active subwoofer, a TV, and a Raspberry Pi.
I have my eye on a class D amp that has only a pair of XLR inputs and a 12v trigger.

I have sought a DAC with the following:
  • XLR output - amp
  • RCA output - sub
  • USB input - Raspberry Pi (Roon)
  • Optical input - TV
  • Infrared remote - volume and source selection
  • Trigger output - turn on that amp

If we add price/performance to the equation, the number of results is close to zero.
  • Topping, SMSL, Gustard, etc. do not have trigger outputs. (150-700)
  • I found a used Cambridge Audio 851D that may fit the bill, but honestly I was hoping for something a bit newer, especially for the amount these fetch. (675)
  • Benchmark DAC2 looked exciting ... until I read the reviews. (1200)
  • Okto Dac8 Stereo is as far as my budget could stretch, but I can't figure a way to connect the sub and the trigger is only 5v, and that amp needs 9v minimum. (1500)

My first haiku
Equipment Beckons
A Class D Amp's Caught My Eye
Triggerless Silence

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
Fifteen years ago I needed a dac that had connections for TV DVD and squeezebox Classic network player.

The Cambridge audio Azur Dac magic is still going strong, connecting optical, coax and usb to the amplifier. The combination permits 2x optical, 2x coax or one of each. I’m still using it and thought you might find it’s functionality interesting.

There is both balanced and rca output (but not both at once)

We have an active subwoofer that has speaker wire wired into the stereo amplifier at high level. This is recommended for REL.

There is no trigger, nor remote control.

The build quality of the Cambridge Audio of that generation is superb, hope you find what you need as you may not get what you want.

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
Something new for the current range of dac - both balanced and rca can be used as both are active, so for instance Gustard x16 will give you the output you want.

i learned something new today!

Top Bottom