• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV as streamer: Shocking measurements

Rednaxela

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Spotify app on my phone, I can select my TV but it says nothing about it being Chromecast and Spotify Connect.
It doesn’t?

My TV is listed twice on my phone. Can’t double check RN, but I can tell from the options which one is CC and which one SC. It’s something visual but I forgot what exactly. Anyway I always choose SC.

ThatM1key

Forum Donor
It doesn’t?

My TV is listed twice on my phone. Can’t double check RN, but I can tell from the options which one is CC and which one SC. It’s something visual but I forgot what exactly. Anyway I always choose SC.
Can't set anything on my TV

Screenshot_20220723-163108.png
Screenshot_20220723-163103.png
Screenshot_20220723-163055.png

Cars-N-Cans

@McFly
Sadly there isn't a volume control when using optical (pcm). It just locks the volume control on the tv and outputs full volume.
That pretty much doesn't leave you many options unless you want to use another output on the TV (if there are any). For what its worth, this is the headphone out on my Sony Bravia. Its not half-bad, and would be fine for general use if your TV has one. Capture was with the output at 50% volume via my TASCAM recorder then analysis of the WAV file using REW. This would be fine for music in my opinion, but I guess it all depends on what options you have with the specific TV. At any rate, it does show the TVs can provide decent audio, but I had the same issue you did in that its hard to get it not to go into clipping with certain sources. Edit: On second thought this would obviously eliminate the DAC. But, is there any reason its specifically needed, i.e. you have other digital audio sources you use in conjunction with the TV? That also has me assuming your TV supports analog outputs and they are not fixed like the PCM is.

Attachments

• Sony TV 1 kHz Tone.png
    Sony TV 1 kHz Tone.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

I never understood why someone would use a TV as music streamer. There are plenty of cheap options out there that are better, smaller and consume so much less power.

On top of that a TV resamples everything to 48khz
Its one less device to have if the TV is there, and you use it in conjunction with the rest of the system it makes sense. Just makes things simpler.

Rednaxela

One thing I’d like to investigate myself one day is whether my (Sony) TV’s sound options affect its digital output. It has four different sound modes and something called ‘ClearAudio+’ and a couple of other things.

Could something like this explain your findings @3cx15000a7?

MarcosCh

Major Contributor
You can use this to measure without the need of using external signal to measure them as single units.
Hi Sokel, i am not sure who you are answering to so sorry for the confusion if I misunderstood your post.
Are you saying you can use the multitone loopback analyzer to measure a tv digital outputs? How would that work? Is there a way to connect a tv as if it was an external card of the computer (and then capture the toslink signal with a second USB card I guess)?
Just wanted to confirm I understood it well before investing time reading the loopback analyzer thread :)

Sokel

Major Contributor
Hi Sokel, i am not sure who you are answering to so sorry for the confusion if I misunderstood your post.
Are you saying you can use the multitone loopback analyzer to measure a tv digital outputs? How would that work? Is there a way to connect a tv as if it was an external card of the computer (and then capture the toslink signal with a second USB card I guess)?
Just wanted to confirm I understood it well before investing time reading the loopback analyzer thread :)
I was suggesting to measure the whole loop.TV>dac analog output>U24XL.
Or you can just measure TV toshlink output>U24XL Toshlink input.
Multitone has a large variety of measurements.

Rednaxela

Top Bottom