• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tutorial: Run Process/Program at High Priority Upon Startup WIN10

maxxone

I saw this was an issue many people have. I wanted to help the forum by making a small tutorial.
This might look a little scary but it's not bad; I promise!
Also, instead of opening at startup. You can just create the .bat file and open it from there manually.

1. Find the location of the file (not the shortcut) i.e Excel is for me is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.exe
You can find this at the top of the file explorer. DONT FORGET TO ADD PROGRAM NAME i.e \excel.exe TO THE END.
1614757432335.png

2. Open notepad and paste/edit the following:
cmd /c start "" /High "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.exe"
edit the file path to the file you want to be set at a high priority.
1614757765772.png

3. File > "Save As" create the name of the file. I named it priority.bat. You can name it whatever, as long as it ends in .bat
Make sure you save the file ending with .bat and make sure you "Save as type: All Files (*.*)
I would put this file somewhere that it won't accidentally get deleted. The root of the C drive is fine (C:\priority.bat)
1614757897115.png

4. Open task Scheduler as administrator
1614758024387.png

1614758060413.png

5. In Task Scheduler at the top click "Action > Create Basic Task
Name it whatever you want. Click Next.
1614758207311.png

6. Choose When the computer starts
1614758264925.png

7. Choose Start a program
1614758313041.png

8. Click Browse to the file.bat that you just created
1614759026072.png

9. Click Next, then Finish.

Now every time you restart your PC that program will open as high priority.

Attachments

• 1614758297764.png
    1614758297764.png
    173 bytes · Views: 73
  • 1614758486019.png
    1614758486019.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 79
OP
maxxone

maxxone

32GB of ram is quite a bit. I usually recommend 16GB unless a program consumes a lot.
Definitely not a problem when you overkill it.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...entium-processor-g4400-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html
If this is the processor you're talking about; I would recommend upgrading it to an i5 or i7 if it's a desktop.
4 cores should be the minimum nowadays. Do you have any idea how many processes WIN10 has?
It's a little bit ridiculous. Also, one hyper thread is worth 33% of a core. Ideally, you'll want a 4 core 8 thread CPU as a "my minimum."

If it is a desktop, skylake is still a very good architecture. It's still in the "future proof" category.

Tortie

Forum Donor
32GB of ram is quite a bit. I usually recommend 16GB unless a program consumes a lot.
Definitely not a problem when you overkill it.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...entium-processor-g4400-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html
If this is the processor you're talking about; I would recommend upgrading it to an i5 or i7 if it's a desktop.
4 cores should be the minimum nowadays. Do you have any idea how many processes WIN10 has?
It's a little bit ridiculous. Also, one hyper thread is worth 33% of a core. Ideally, you'll want a 4 core 8 thread CPU as a "my minimum."

If it is a desktop, skylake is still a very good architecture. It's still in the "future proof" category.

Yeah, I figured that my Pentium would just be a starter CPU when I got it but I never got around to replacing it. I guess it makes sense to future proof my investment with 4 core processor. The G4400 has been pretty solid. I don't sense much lag.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wow. Batch files. Who would have thunk it.

Next, you'll be teaching us how to write/edit config.sys and autoexec.bat files like the old Windows 3.1 days. Can't wait. ;)

1614772972179.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You're being rude.

Nah, just having fun. :)

Some of us grew up with computers, right from Z-80s, boards we hand soldered and built (like early Ohio Scientific/Apple etc) CPM, machine language on 6502s and 6809s, through Apple IIs with MS basic cards, the earliest PC-XT/ATs and every incarnation of intel uP you can dream of. Until you've dialled up 30 times on a dropout-prone modem to a BBS on DOS 6.2 with a 2400bps modem you haven't lived.

Hell, I even run a vintage Pentium 166+ in my lab, running windows '95 to allow me direct serial port access for an ancient DOS only audio data aquisition hardware box I built in 1996.

So, yeah, prioritizing *.exes in batch files on loadup is just something we've all been used to for like, maybe, 30 years. Win10 just buries it a bit.

But Excel? It is pretty much the least resource/RAM intensive MS program ever (apart from terminal or maybe notepad). You can run it on any potato. Even Word uses more.

Last edited:
OP
maxxone

maxxone

Nah, just having fun. :)

Some of us grew up with computers, right from Z-80s, boards we hand soldered and built (like early Ohio Scientific/Apple etc) CPM, machine language on 6502s and 6809s, through Apple IIs with MS basic cards, the earliest PC-XT/ATs and every incarnation of intel uP you can dream of. Until you've dialled up 30 times on a dropout-prone modem to a BBS on DOS 6.2 with a 2400bps modem you haven't lived.

Hell, I even run a vintage Pentium 166+ in my lab, running windows '95 to allow me direct serial port access for an ancient DOS only audio data aquisition hardware box I built in 1996.

So, yeah, prioritizing *.exes in batch files on loadup is just something we've all been used to for like, maybe, 30 years. Win10 just buries it a bit.

But Excel? It is pretty much the least resource/RAM intensive MS program ever (apart from terminal or maybe notepad). You can run it on any potato. Even Word uses more.

Excel was an example file. I think I saw a few people looking for a program to do this automatically for them. And not everyone is IT savvy.
There was another thread here in which someone was getting annoyed by doing it via task manager.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, I've realised that, with difficulty. The world is full of people who don't know what the internet is. They only know apps, on their phone. And "need data."

Top Bottom