• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables - Diminishing returns/2 channel or 5.1 advice please!

Deacon Blues

Hey guys -

I like vinyl. Let's just get that out there. It offers the usual repeated traits (Ad nauseam) for me. Currently experiencing a dilemma. And you guys have scientific proof/knowledge on what is best here.

I currently use a U-Turn Orbit Custom (acrylic platter), with a Ortofon 2M Bronze fine-line stylus -> Pluto Preamp (was cheap enough at the time) -> NAD 356BEE -> ELAC B6.2.

I think about upgrading it occasionally, but then I say to myself - if I want lossless I use my digital rig:

HTPC(roon/Jriver)=>Topping D50=>Yamaha 5.1 HTIB (HDMI, USB connections)

Also

Seperate 2 Channel system: HTPC=>CC =>NAD 356BEE 2 channel (with Burr Brown 24/96 DAC module)=>Elac B6.2's (all Canare LS11 speaker wire/BJC interconnects) I never believed in the cable marketing hype, partially thanks to this site (Thanks Amir),

• Is it worth upgrading the table?
  • Should I invest in a better phono stage?
  • Is it worth getting a better table at all?

Will the difference be audible? I minimize resonances with sorbothane on the turntable feet which is wall mounted. It spins accurately, and reproduces sound quite nicely for vinyl. (I notice some recordings sound a bit thin compared to the digital versions.)

Or - Is it worth fully upgrading my HTIB Yamaha speakers to say a 3.1 RSL CG3 line? (leaving the cheap surrounds for the time being). For Roon/Jriver (I play a lot of BluRay Audio, lossless audio.

What say you? Upgrade the Digital to get better resolution from the PC? Or upgrade the

1.turntable
2.phono
3. speaker stereo system?

So WAF is high on this guys.

Based upon research this is what I have come up with according to published measurements/subjective reviews.

The 5.1 System (better listening area/space)

NHT SuperZero Mini monitors for rears, SuperZero 2.1 for front and center, (sub undecided thus far - currently using the 8" Yamaha because I live in a condo where bass can be a bit much for neighbors - and wife hates too much bass)

RSL 3.1 CG3 (Speedwoofer included)

OR

I was looking into the Maggie LRS for the turntable/streaming system from the NAD. But again, those need space to shine, and I don't have it stuck in a 8
x8' squared off area in the bottom level of the condo.

Anyone's advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Matt

Robin L

Master Contributor
I hate vinyl, lets get that out of the way.

Yes, you can upgrade the turntable, it will be audible. The Technics revival of their 1200 series would be a considerable upgrade from the U-Turn table. If you play LPs a lot, I would look into that first.

You don't have enough room to do 5.1 right. You don't have enough room to do Maggies at all.

OP
D

Deacon Blues

I hate vinyl, lets get that out of the way.

Yes, you can upgrade the turntable, it will be audible. The Technics revival of their 1200 series would be a considerable upgrade from the U-Turn table. If you play LPs a lot, I would look into that first.

You don't have enough room to do 5.1 right. You don't have enough room to do Maggies at all.
Thanks for the reply. I agree space is an issue here. Do you think adding some form of DSP (it seems overwhelming and complex to me) would be a better investment at this point? I will look into the technics. I don't really care for the overall 80s look of them. But, I'm going to revisit their page and specs. I like the experience of vinyl, it's not all about accuracy there. It's about enjoying mastering specifically for that medium. Hate it or love it, I don't see it going away for awhile.

Do you think maybe VPI would be a good upgrade?

I'm basically trying to seek out the absolute benefit after upgrading the u turn from maxing out its capabilities. I'm happy with the sound but it does feedback at high volumes due to vibrations in the plinth. I used sorbothane on the feet to help, which does slightly.

I guess my budget is allowing upgrades But my condo is the real problem. As space is surely an issue for more than just me. So you think I wouldn't be able to enjoy upgraded 5.1 sealed mini monitor vs full range 2 3/4" woofer system that doesn't sound terrible, but I know can be better.

Top Bottom