• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables, cartidges, and phono stages

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Does anyone have any experience with the DSP for phono on new Technics amps?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have any experience with the DSP for phono on new Technics amps?
The SUR-1000? I don't think it is shipping yet. My guess is that on ship date we will see some reviews.

It will be interesting to read whatever Mikey 'mister analog' Fremer can make up about it. My guess is that he will find it a bit on the 'dry and clinical' side. 'Silence between the notes' will be uncanny. 'Soundstage' will be solid and well defined, but not quite up to the level of the best tube based phono gear. With an overall bottom-to-top rhythmic coherence and transparency that rivals the best of digital, but not quite the best of analog, it will represent a happy value-oriented compromise between the two mediums.

In conclusion, although it won't compare to his reference darTZeel NHB-18NS preamplifier ($23,000) + darTZeel NHB-468 amps ($170,000/pair), the Technics, at it's ten thousand dollar price point, will be a 'bargain' for those with moderately priced MM based front ends (but only if connected to the Audioquest Niagra Falls 10000 nuclear power plant line conditioner and placed on Infinitesimal Elemental Sonic Nirvana Pagoda stands. And then only if your Wotan Supreme Valhalla Rainbow Bridge Reference cables--with the optional Loge Magic Fire(tm) terminations--have been conditioned for at least a week using the Dharma Audio Cable Cooker on the medium level Guanyin Bodhisattva setting).

dennis h

The SUR-1000? I don't think it is shipping yet. My guess is that on ship date we will see some reviews.

It will be interesting to read whatever Mikey 'mister analog' Fremer can make up about it. My guess is that he will find it a bit on the 'dry and clinical' side. 'Silence between the notes' will be uncanny. 'Soundstage' will be solid and well defined, but not quite up to the level of the best tube based phono gear. With an overall bottom-to-top rhythmic coherence and transparency that rivals the best of digital, but not quite the best of analog, it will represent a happy value-oriented compromise between the two mediums.

In conclusion, although it won't compare to his reference darTZeel NHB-18NS preamplifier ($23,000) + darTZeel NHB-468 amps ($170,000/pair), the Technics, at it's ten thousand dollar price point, will be a 'bargain' for those with moderately priced MM based front ends (but only if connected to the Audioquest Niagra Falls 10000 nuclear power plant line conditioner and placed on Infinitesimal Elemental Sonic Nirvana Pagoda stands. And then only if your Wotan Supreme Valhalla Rainbow Bridge Reference cables--with the optional Loge Magic Fire(tm) terminations--have been conditioned for at least a week using the Dharma Audio Cable Cooker on the medium level Guanyin Bodhisattva setting).

ROFLOL !

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

You left out that it sounds best when "appropriately paired and sonically matching" $20K Technics SL-1000R.

cochlea

Forum Donor
You left out that it sounds best when "appropriately paired and sonically matching" $20K Technics SL-1000R.
Oh, and...”The presentation is spacious but cohesive, offering three-dimensionality while hanging its image front and centre.”

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least one can say that the new SP10 is probably about as good as it gets for something that spins around for a living. So for that it's not snake oil. Just high priced. But even so, it's chump change compared the half a million dollar Tech Das.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
At least one can say that the new SP10 is probably about as good as it gets for something that spins around for a living. So for that it's not snake oil. Just high priced. But even so, it's chump change compared the half a million dollar Tech Das.

I'd actually buy one if:

--It wasn't so damn big and heavy

--It had better options for 3rd party arms

--Current house had concrete floors instead of suspended with big crawl space

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea of digitizing the phono cartridge signal and applying RIAA EQ, crosstalk cancellation, and other phono related massaging in the digital domain, and then converting it back to analog, is kind of a fascinating, but sort of weird at the same time. I mean, if pure technical perfection is what you want, why not just stick with digits from the get-go?

It kind of reminds me of a battery powered buggy whip with settings for walk, trot, and gallop. After you hitched up your wagon you could be assured that each smack on the horse's rump would be precise and without variation. But for those weekly runs to the general store, especially in the rain and snow, your all wheel drive SUV is going to be a lot better at hauling your stuff.

Top Bottom