• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables, cartidges, and phono stages

kaka89

My experience with the DSP-based phono stage in my Devialet has convinced me that ADC/DSP phono stage has the potential to offer "as good as it gets" performance.

Fortunately, others seem to have agreed and have made stand-alone products at a lower price point. I haven't personally used or heard one, but from what I've seen and read, the Parks Audio Puffin ($449), which also uses ADC and DSP, looks really interesting and flexible:

http://parksaudiollc.com/
Wondering how much cheaper can it be if it is digital output only.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@watchnerd Is the AT33 subjectively preferable or does it offer any notable advantages over your Nagaoka? I note Miller's measurements seem to indicate both as good and competent performers.

That's a tough call.

The MP-500 (probably because of the more advanced line contact stylus and maybe the boron cant), seems snappier on transients and a little more detailed, but it's pickier about alignment, which can make it a little less consistent sounding from LP to LP.

The AT33EV, in contrast, has a better sense of space and imaging, a bit more ballsy oomph during power moments, and is more forgiving of alignment than the MP-500, probably due to using an elliptical. It's more consistent from LP to LP.

A more apples-apples comparison to the MP-500 might be the AT33PTG/2 (MicroLine & boron) or the AT33SA (Shibata & boron). The AT33EV, AT33PTG/2 are cheaper than the MP-500, while the AT33SA is only $70 more.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@watchnerd Is the AT33 subjectively preferable or does it offer any notable advantages over your Nagaoka? I note Miller's measurements seem to indicate both as good and competent performers.

As an additional note:

One thing I like about the AT33 family is that there is a "true mono" version available, the AT33Mono, which I also own. It has nearly the same output, weight, and set up as the other members of the AT33 family, so it makes switching from stereo to mono carts easy.

I wish Nagaoka would make a mono cart and have written to them about it.

noobie1

I’ve had my vinyl rig for about 2 weeks now. I’m using a Goldring 1042 (Jelco TK850M) into Puffin Phono DSP. Ergononically, I don’t think Shannon Parks made the best choices. The RCA inputs/outputs are located on the top surface which makes for an unnecessarily busy look. The LED screen is also difficult to read unless you’re directly over the device. The menu has too many options (16) to scroll through. Sonically, I can’t speak to Puffin as an individual component but I am very happy with the overall rig.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the top end of the Audio Technica AT33EV (my main cart), a LOMC with alu cant and elliptical stylus:

index.php

It doesn't exhibit the typical top octave spike that's so common, which is one reason I like it.

Yes some ATs measure well. As for the OM40 it had perfect response at about 150 pF and 43 kOhm. The picture is a part of an article in "Musik and Ljudteknik", in Swedish.

Skärmavbild 2019-08-18 kl. 18.29.23.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes some ATs measure well. As for the OM40 it had perfect response at about 150 pF and 43 kOhm. The picture is a part of an article in "Musik and Ljudteknik", in Swedish.

View attachment 31643

AT's engineering and quality control seems to be as good as it gets (along with Ortofon and Denon).

But they don't seem to be as popular with audiophiles as one might expect given their quality....probably because they're not expensive enough and/or they use the same brand name to span carts that range from $29 to $4999.

If I was in charge of AT marketing, I'd make a new, spin-off brand (a la Lexus vs Toyota), headed by some old Japanese grandpa who makes calligraphy in his spare time, and couple that with some hot classical musicians like Julijana Sarac and Sarah Chang as my brand ambassadors.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Shit. That’s on me isn’t it.

LOLOL. Given the amazing amount of stuff from you that's landed here, I'm not exactly worried. :D

Email me if you don't have our Phoenix address.

JP

Major Contributor
LOLOL. Given the amazing amount of stuff from you that's landed here, I'm not exactly worried. :D

Email me if you don't have our Phoenix address.

Think I have it. Re: the Puffin, I think I powered it up once, but can’t remember. If I’ve a spare, I’ll send one of the INAMP boards I use these days. Throw one of Jan’s switchers at it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Think I have it. Re: the Puffin, I think I powered it up once, but can’t remember. If I’ve a spare, I’ll send one of the INAMP boards I use these days. Throw one of Jan’s switchers at it.

He should have the DS+ this week, so he'll have an interesting side by side.
That puffin does look interesting.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Shit. That’s on me isn’t it.
Hi JP, do you think anyone here would be interested in the phono stuff we did at diyaudio? That Puffin thing is interesting looks like a garage shop item.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi JP, do you think anyone here would be interested in the phono stuff we did at diyaudio? That Puffin thing is interesting looks like a garage shop item.

I might be.

Currently contemplating whether to build a SUT based on some Hashimotos since none of the pre-made ones seem to have the exact right mix of features I'd like.

JP

Major Contributor

Hey Scott, good to hear from you. I'm not sure, but it'd seem some would be. Would love to get Stuart's thoughts on it as well, as I'm inclined to think he's been there, done that with a lot of it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ready for a truly hot topic?

Which alignment do you prefer, and why?

-Stevenson
-Baerwald
-Loefgren
-UNI-DIN
-Other

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Hey Scott, good to hear from you. I'm not sure, but it'd seem some would be. Would love to get Stuart's thoughts on it as well, as I'm inclined to think he's been there, done that with a lot of it.

Not sure, unfortunately he has removed all my usual reasons for a home visit. I have also done all the stuff inside the Puffin and am curious to compare. As to the current discussion I wonder if there is a DSP way to convert an LP recording from a pivoted arm to a virtual linear tracker?

Top Bottom