• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables as an art form

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Artsfols your purchase of a B&O just might a hobby investment if they are retaining value and appreciating.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I believe it was this Beogram 1500.

Possibly the 1902. I distinctly remember the rectangular control in the lower control. Most B&O turntables have a round one. These turntables have scratches and dents so I am not sure. But I love the look. And the functionality. I remember a good friend of mine around that time had bought a Japanese stereo with a number of components and all kinds of lights and controls that were not needed. He so wanted me to tell him how impressed I was with his new stereo but I simply couldn't do it. :)
That model seems to be quite common. Here, for example, in Denmark. $21.:
Screenshot_2023-01-02_001609.jpg

Okay, the surface finish was crap, but it's cheap and easy to fix. Grind down and put in place, mount new veneer there.:)
You need a new pickup, hence the price of that record player I guess. A new pickup you buy (hopefully if available) here:

If you get it up and running that is, but on the other hand it costs basically nothing.:)

It was just one Beogram 1500. On Hifishark you can find the ones for sale now:

Edit:
Or a working one for $180::)
Screenshot_2023-01-02_002523.jpg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the German Phono Museum I saw a Dual TT within a cardanic mount which played records in any position, even upside down - similar to this one:

masselos2_649435.jpg

Here you can see another model playing in vertical mode:

index.php

Cool enough?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the German Phono Museum I saw a Dual TT within a cardanic mount which played records in any position, even upside down. Here you can see it playing in vertical mode:
index.php

Cool enough?
Shudder. I serviced Dual in-warranty and some of them where a major pain in the butt. Once I learned to smear the silicon damping fluid around in the proper locations most of them where easy repairs but man alive could they be fussy sometimes.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What makes a turntable good is probably always invisible. A low-friction, low noise main bearing; good isolation from air-borne and floor-borne noise; a low friction, low-play arm bearing; isolation between the motor, the platter and the cartridge; the right amount of arm mass for the cartridge's compliance.

It's possible to build a beautiful turntable that has none of these features, or an artistically ugly turntable that has them

Hiten

For Aesthetics
Dual
dual.jpg

Perpetuum Ebner
pe.jpg

Elac
elac.jpg

Cambridge Audio
cambridge.jpg

Some may have color option.
Regards

Holmz

Major Contributor
Music Hall is walnut veneer over MDF.
The Project is lacquered MDF.
The Audio Technica is plastic (I think).

Yeah, to me this looks great:
index.php

Start and stop and speed selectors. But even this had rosewood veneer over MDF end caps. I replaced them with actual rosewood.

To my eye the Music Hall looks good at the local shop, and has a built-in phono preamp, will sound fine, and won't break the bank.

Are ^those^ tables delux?
How’s the sound?
Etc. etc. etc.

I found one for sale, but no arms, and no way to tell how it sounds like by playing a test record on it.

And what does one do for motor or spindle issues? And associated parts?

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Are ^those^ tables delux?
How’s the sound?
Etc. etc. etc.

I found one for sale, but no arms, and no way to tell how it sounds like by playing a test record on it.

And what does one do for motor or spindle issues? And associated parts?
I really like the PD-444. It sounds as good as a turntable can sound! It is a very stable machine, and really nice to operate.
I do worry about long term serviceability. The associated parts can be a real problem. I got a new old stock dust cover about 25 years ago for cheap. The arm boards seem to go for tons of money on eBay now. When and if it breaks and is not reasonably serviceable, and I will likely replace it with something modest. But for now its a big old slab of vintage sound.

I guess I would recommend to stay away unless you can get the table and a couple of arm boards for reasonable cost. The few parts available are just too expensive now. For instance:

But if you can get one working with some arm boards it's lots of fun.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

For Aesthetics
Dual
View attachment 254124

Perpetuum Ebner
View attachment 254125
Elac
View attachment 254126

Cambridge Audio
View attachment 254127
Some may have color option.
Regards
Thanks. Three of those fit the bill appearance wise, and I've not previously seen any of them.

I have ruled out purchasing any kind of older turntable. I definitely admire people who retune the older equipment. My first good stereo had a Pioneer SA 9100 amp, TX 9100 tuner, both top of the line, a Thorens turntable, 2 Infinity speaker towers with tweeter cones and 2 rear speakers from PSB, a KLH tape deck, a TEAC cassette deck later on, Koss headphones. I had a good stereo before I had a car. That's how things were done in those days. First full time job I went to the company credit union manager for a loan. He said, you want to get a car, right? No, it's for a stereo. Denied!

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
I really like the PD-444. It sounds as good as a turntable can sound! It is a very stable machine, and really nice to operate.

I guess I would recommend to stay away unless you can get the table and a couple of arm boards for reasonable cost.

Thanks!

What constitutes a bad cost?
A fellow has a 555 for sale, but wants $5k (USD).

It certainly looks like a beast.

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks!

What constitutes a bad cost?
A fellow has a 555 for sale, but wants $5k (USD).

It certainly looks like a beast.
Oh boy. That seems like a ton. The 555 is the vacuum version, looks really similar but is actually much different, but equally cool.
I'll be honest, I have never seen one in real life. I have heard they are high maintenance because of the vacuum, but work fine without even if the vacuum doesn't work.
In my opinion, for $5k it needs to be in demonstrably collectable condition, with all of the pieces in order, and a couple armboards minimum. If so and it is your passion, I would take it over one of those Triangle, Transrotor, or other obscene tower of power turntables.

dr0ss

We just bought our son one of these; maybe it will satisfy both the artistic appearance/nostalgia requirements?

(Note: this was a bit of a parental troll; his taste is even more conservative than ours, and we run a staid Thorens TD-160 table. However, we found a really good deal on this one, which should be an excellent performer.)
debut-carbon-esprit-dc-sb-the-beatles-1964-1-product.jpg

kschmit2

We just bought our son one of these; maybe it will satisfy both the artistic appearance/nostalgia requirements?

(Note: this was a bit of a parental troll; his taste is even more conservative than ours, and we run a staid Thorens TD-160 table. However, we found a really good deal on this one, which should be an excellent performer.)

That's a Pro-Ject from the Artists Collection.

They do have a wide selection of interesting turntable models in the range below about 3k Euros/USD

Link to their current lineup: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Pro-Ject-Product-Guide-2023-WEB-2.pdf

dr0ss

Yes, it is a special edition of the "Debut Carbon Esprit". It also comes in more normal colors, including a pretty walnut veneer with a satin finish, but a dealer was clearing this one out for around 2/3 the usual selling price.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

That's quite interesting. Not quite for me though.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

They do have a wide selection of interesting turntable models in the range below about 3k Euros/USD

Link to their current lineup: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Pro-Ject-Product-Guide-2023-WEB-2.pdf
Super interesting link and catalogue. The Signature 12 at 11,000 Euros!!

In the artist line I was very surprised to see a 'Hans Theessink' model. Theessink is probably the best 'not well known' blues guitarist in the world. I follow his travels on Facebook because he is a fellow Dutch man.
Bit off topic, but here is a sample.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

JBL's first turntable looks nice. Just announced.
https://cdn.ecoustics.com/db0/wblob/17BA35E873D594/2E66/43FB3/4LJuyVUuWq5jBZzD_-GRSCRsMBsdWtcBgHcDCJ3GxDE/jbl-classic-series-tt350.jpg
The look works for me, but the wood looks like it might be a cheap veneer. Emphasis on 'might be' because it's so hard to tell from a photo. And this is my concern in purchasing a table sight unseen because you can't judge the materials and the fit and finish from a photo.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
A laminate construction is generally more rigid pound-for-pound than a solid material. So a turntable made from a single slice of nice wood will probably be less ideal than one made of fibre-board with a veneer or a material like Formica.

dr0ss

The look works for me, but the wood looks like it might be a cheap veneer. Emphasis on 'might be' because it's so hard to tell from a photo. And this is my concern in purchasing a table sight unseen because you can't judge the materials and the fit and finish from a photo.
From the photo it might even be printed foil instead of veneer. I wonder if this is yet another table outsourced to the Ya Horng factory, which produces several decent tables (including tables for Denon, Fluance, AT, Teac, and even Thorens) which are all quite similar apart from superficial appearance details. Their finishes tend to look high-end from a distance, close up you can see defects like small ripples in the gloss coat. (The kind of thing you wouldn't even notice until some jerk on the internet calls your attention to it.)

If you like the look of a minimal layout on a walnut plinth, assuming you're in North America you could also look at the U-turn Orbit. Their tables are hand-built in
Massachusetts, very attractive, and you can customize extensively.

Top Bottom