• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

turntable reviews?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Some people are much more sensitive to it than others. Despite my musician training (such as it is), I am not particularly sensitive to it.

It's a little like inner-groove distortion. I don't hear that, either, and if I ever meet Robin in person, I'm going to insist that he does not teach me how to hear it.

Rick "ignorance is bliss" Denney
I've spent years [said years being the transition from LPs to CDs becoming the standard] compiling, needledropping and producing radio shows of New Age music, music that very often has synthesized tones that have no vibrato holding a pitch for a long time. In fact, a lot of music that became popular 1980-1995 used production techniques more suited for digital formats than LPs. I've fooled around with electronic keyboards, had a Steinway B in the living room for a few years, love the sound of a tone sustained by room reverb. Right now, I spend more time playing a 12-string acoustic guitar that's plugged into a Roland Cube for chorus, sustain and reverb than listening to recorded music. So, it's unfortunately easy for me to hear speed variation.

Spending many years transferring LPs to other formats [starting around 1975], I heard how the sound would be messed up by the recorder. When CDs arrived [for me, 1985], I could hear the differences, first noticing that CDs seemed to have less reverb on the sound. I also noticed pre-echo coming from the disc's cutting [Joan Armatrading's eponymous LP being a case in point, a clear pre-echo on the opening track]. But the quarter didn't really drop for me regarding IGD until I started a little business transferring analog discs for others. Having to monitor old, worn recordings of music I didn't like made me focus on everything wrong with the discs, and worn discs amplify the sonic characteristics of IGD. So, that's a sound I inadvertently trained myself to hear.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I just ordered “ Shaknspin”

https://shaknspin.wordpress.com/

I have 10 test records from 1967 to 2020 none of them are properly centered and all of them have different frequency response. You have to use the same record to be comparable with others measurements

I think RPM and wow and flutter by Shaknspin is one of the few measurements of vinyl that can be made consistently.

Last edited:

Bob_is_here

The whole design is a styling excercise, there is no proper engineering in it to isolate properly, the hanging weight does nothing of any value as far as accurately playing a record is concerned.
It uses buzz words like magnetic isolation (which isn't necessarily any good).
As ever the whole thing is bathed in fashion rather than proper engineering.
I don't even like the styling, personally, but I suppose many will.
Yes, an attempt to find as many different coloured polished metals as possible, combining them in a semi-random pattern that brings on nausea the moment the device is activated.

dennis h

I just ordered “ Shaknspin”

https://shaknspin.wordpress.com/

I have 10 test records from 1967 to 2020 none of them are properly centered and all of them have different frequency response. You have to use the same record to be comparable with others measurements

I think RPM and wow and flutter by Shaknspin is one of the few measurements of vinyl that can be made consistently.

Please keep us posted of your experiments.
I am more of a "What does this whole mess do to the signal at the output of the turntable kind of guy " but the quality of the media makes that difficult at best as you said.
This may give useful static tests, can you use it with spindle grip type record hold-downs attached ?

Top Bottom