• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turning An Active Speaker On/Off Correctly

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will turning a speaker on or off incorrectly damage it?

I recently got jbl 305p's with a lsr310s.

I had the 305's turned on already but the sub was off. I flipped the power switch on the sub and I heard a "thud" go through my monitors.

Can turning active speakers on or off incorrectly damage the speaker or subwoofer?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I had the 305's turned on already but the sub was off. I flipped the power switch on the sub and I heard a "thud" go through my monitors.

Can turning active speakers on or off incorrectly damage the speaker or subwoofer?
I've used the same setup. I doubt you hurt anything if it all still works. I don't think it is good for it.

Assuming your music source feeds the LSR310 which then feeds after the crossover to the LSR305, you'd want to turn on the 310 first and let it stabilize. Then turn on the 305s last.

When turning off, do the reverse. Turn off the 305s first. Then turn off the 310 last.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The order of things.

Turn on:

1. Low signal gear first - e.g. Mics, phono and then preamps and line level devices.

2. Then power amps. e.g. active speakers.

Let turn-on delays on 1. time out before turning on 2.

Reverse for turning off.

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
I would personally avoid any gear that has a potential to emit dangerous noise (“dangerous” being dependent on the sensitivity of downstream (g)ears ;)).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not so easy. Turning volume controls down to a safe level is good insurance before turn-off.

Last edited:
OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I've used the same setup. I doubt you hurt anything if it all still works. I don't think it is good for it.

Assuming your music source feeds the LSR310 which then feeds after the crossover to the LSR305, you'd want to turn on the 310 first and let it stabilize. Then turn on the 305s last.

When turning off, do the reverse. Turn off the 305s first. Then turn off the 310 last.

So have you done the same? Can the speakers be damaged now?

Wombat

Master Contributor

It a possibility to pop the tweeters if the volume controls are set to 'high'. Otherwise just a disconcerting occurrence rather than any damage.

Last edited:

Bob-23

When turning on/turning off a preamp/DAC/etc. there may be high voltage peaks ('turn-on/off-transients') which would be amplified when the following amp stage were already on - it would then cause a 'plop' or worse (e.g., in the case of very sensitive IEMs at the output of an amp).

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So have you done the same? Can the speakers be damaged now?
I've done the same. With volume controls full up. I did get a thud, but it wasn't a horrid super loud thud. I should know better, but I was hurrying to turn things off when an unexpected thunderstorm descended upon my location. Nothing was harmed.

I doubt your speakers are harmed. Though I suppose it is possible. If you've had them long enough to know what they sound like, and everything sounds fine, it probably is fine. The 305s are pretty tough speakers anyway, not something that is fragile. If you had a measurement setup like a Umik and REW you could run a sweep and make sure woofer and tweeter is working fine.

From a distance I can't guarantee they are fine or that they are likely damaged. My opinion would be they are fine.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the 305 put everything through an adc then they probably have some good abuse protection built in.

Top Bottom