• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turn off the main speakers and leave the sub on then play with the low pass filter.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Play some of your favorite songs.
Get the volume to where you like it.
Turn off your main speakers and leave the sub on.
Try different low pass levels and different genres of music.
I've got a 24db filter at 30Hz, and there's a ton going on in many tracks.
In most rock tracks I played, little happened at 30Hz, but I'd imagine the effect would still be meaningful. By 80Hz, there was a significant amount going on. Many rock tracks were busy with a 50Hz crossover. Dark Side of the Moon was not actually pretty busy with a 30Hz crossover.
Hip hop is, of course, mostly active in the lower regions. Some tracks don't get live until 50Hz, but most had meaningful content at 30Hz.

If your setup doesn't reach to 20Hz with plenty of volume, you're missing out, anywhere from a little to a hell of a lot. The impact is less with rock, but it's still significant. The impact is far greater with electronic music.

This experiment works great with SVS subs that have the app to control the low pass filter.

hege

Forum Donor
I mean to hear the bass on music you already listen to. A lot of people say, "Oh, rock doesn't go that low." To an extent, they're correct some of the time. Also, hearing is believing.

Well those people normally don't have subs to hear..

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cross my subs at 110Hz, turning them off basically turns my speakers into boomboxes on a garden.

Top Bottom