• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turn a Windows PC into a network player: Audiophile UPnP Renderer

BillG

Major Contributor
Just an interesting bit of software I stumbled upon earlier today. I don't have much use for it currently. However, some of you might... :cool:

From the developer:

"Audiophile UPnP Renderer is a lightweight, HQ audio player, that turns your PC into a dedicated H/W UPnP renderer.
It supports WAV and FLAC, BitPerfect and gapless playback, and even single VST for RC (requires bit-depth upconversion to at least 24 bits). Requires Windows 7 + (WASAPI)."

v2.3
- Added support for ASIO driver interface.
- Added support for some lossy formats (mp3, aac etc.).
- Improved gapless handling, as well as quite a few small features.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audiophilerenderer/

I actually tested it on my own PC just now, and indeed, my DLNA-UPnP client apps see it as an endpoint.

The software running on my PC:
71076469_2702743339738430_8071385452138987520_n.jpg

My PC showing up as a player in HiFi Cast running on an Android tablet:
72273202_2702746663071431_8573711731723862016_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
Just another little update about the capabilities of the application: It works just fine as a VST host... :cool:

Untitled.jpg

jchoatejr

After seeing the Audiophile UPnP Renderer show up in a couple of forums with positive reviews I believed that I had found what I needed. I had started by building a mini-ITX PC and installing Widows 10 Home intending it to be a dedicated music server. Then I hooked up my Benchmark USB DAC and configured it in Windows Sound Control. Then I hooked up the downstream analog gear and began playing local music files right away. I used Amazon Music Ultra-HD to verify 24/96 files played properly (my local files were 16/44.1 CD copies). So, ready to move into the world of UPnP I installed MinimServer 2 on my Synology NAS for my 'Library' and copied over the music files (.flac and .wav) to the NAS. I downloded BubbleUPnP on my Android tablet and downloaded Audiophile UPnP Renderer v2.3 and the MIcrosoft Visual C++ (x86) 2015 Redistributible on my PC. It started right up, displaying its operating window; I did not enable VSTs (which are optional). From BubbleUPnP I has able to select MinimServer for my library (UPnP server) and Audiophile Renderer as my UPnP renderer. I selected a track to play, and the track name popped up in AR's window on the PC, but nothing happened. I received the message "Action failed (Code: 501)" on BubbleUPnP, which turns out to be a generic message from the renderer that basically means "I can't do that". I tried to drag-n-drop tracks from the PCs local drive to the AR window (debug capability), but nothing happened, not even the track name appeared. Next I uninstalled AR and downloaded and installed TuneBrower. Once I configured TB to enable "Open Home" and told Win10 security to allow the network connection TB showed up in BubbleUPnP as a renderer, and began to play selected tracks. But TB wants to be a server too, and upon startup always prompts for its music folder. BUT IT WAS WORKING! I switched back to Audiophile UPnP Renderer, and it still would/could not play the tracks. And the drag-n-drop debug mode wasn't working either. I have posted in the AudiophileStyle forum on the thread where the AR author hangs out. I had a member response and suggestion, but I had already done what he suggested, which was to enable exclusive mode on the audio device in the Windows Sound Control dialog. I know AR works, and I must be missing some setting or configuration item, or even unblocking a port. If anyone here knows to get AR working after a successful installation, I sure would appreciate some help.
-john

Theriverlethe

Does it support 64-bit VST? I'm currently using Jriver as a renderer with Goodhertz CanOpener and Audeze Reveal+.

jchoatejr

Thanks for your reply. Audiophile UPnP Renderer is a 32-bit application. It supports VSTs but l don't think it supports 64-bit VSTs, although at the moment I just want it to play a track. I have investigated Jriver and it appears to want to be both server (with its extended library and playlists) and renderer. While l haven't ruled anything out, I am committed to the NAS for storage and I like MiminServer 2 running directly on the NAS. What I am in search of is a renderer that will start from the start menu and run without any direct interaction, other than UPnP.
-john

Old Listener

Thanks for your reply. Audiophile UPnP Renderer is a 32-bit application. It supports VSTs but l don't think it supports 64-bit VSTs, although at the moment I just want it to play a track. I have investigated Jriver and it appears to want to be both server (with its extended library and playlists) and renderer. While l haven't ruled anything out, I am committed to the NAS for storage and I like MiminServer 2 running directly on the NAS. What I am in search of is a renderer that will start from the start menu and run without any direct interaction, other than UPnP.
-john

Jriver has uPnp/DLNA server, controller and renderer functions. Each function can be enabled or disabled individually. Just check/uncheck the checkboxes for each function.

Top Bottom