• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube vs Transistor Amps...They sound different... its a fact.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats because some of you pple are trolling.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/if-tube-sound-is-a-myth-why-tubes.8656/

This is supposed to be a more technical forum but these are the nonsense replies...

Nonsense because you dont believe them? You need to elaborate what your actual assertion or question is.

If its "ALL tube amps audibly sound different to ALL solid state amps" then that is clearly rubbish. Nobody is denying a tube amp can sound different to a SS amp. Distortion is one possible reason why any difference may arise. As is output impedance or I am sure any other variety of measurable reasons. That may also explain a difference in sound between 2 different tube amps and 2 different SS amps.

What I think most are saying is tube amps are harder to design and build that measure well. And that many here choose to have reliable well measuring kit. Some also like tubes and what they can bring.

So back to my question to you- what's your point and what are you seeking to illicit? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-sound-different-its-a-fact.14851/post-463245

If you want a technical discussion, ask a technical question. The best response to your OP here would be "Uh huh".

Willem

Major Contributor
Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tube amps sound different from solid state amps. Its not about better or worse, its about a difference. For those who thought that they sound same as solid state amps, well, I have to say they are all wrong.

This video from audioholics is a great one and provides the key reasons why they sound different. One of the main reason is distortion. Its measurable.
At this point, there's a famous French expression I just wanna share:

" Enfoncer des portes ouvertes "

Means literally "break down open doors", more explicitly: "State the obvious"...
;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe the tube amp is more of a pet than an amplifier. It's your little Fi-Fi.

DSJR

Major Contributor
'Many' may be pushing it, but it is true that some will sound the same as equally competent solid state amplifiers. For a famous example, see : https://www.dadaelectronics.eu/uplo...d-405-303-II-compared-1978-Wireless-World.pdf
See here for measurements of the Quad valve amp used in the test: https://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/805quad/index.html

I find it damned difficult where Quad amps are concerned as at various times I've heard and compared (OK, sighted) my II's, 303, 405, 405-2 and various 500 and 606 family amps including the current audiophool-unappreciated Artera version of the 606. Mostly, good working examples of each sound pretty much the same within their limits but the extra 4 ohm drive ability of the 606 family helps hugely on rock and dynamic jazz at lively levels i nto speakers able to utilise the power :D

I have personal vibes about the 405 and 405-2 as the subjective difference is akin to taking the brakes off in the mk2 (apparently you can do even more with it, but the thing then suffers thermal runaway if pushed too hard and can run bloomin' hot as it is). All the other Quads including new solid state 'AB' models such as the 77 and 99 are absolutely delightful and 'disappear' very quickly in a music session using them.

As for valves, The numerous Stereophile reviews plus an interview I read with E.A.R.'s Tim de Paravicini, indicate that although it's old technology, still it seems not every 'designer' knows how to utilise it properly and the tech in output transformers does seem lacking in many examples. From a UK perspective, I think Radford's classic models had it as right as possible, the compromises pushed as far out of the main audio band as possible and this I seem to remember, was a goal of Quad's Peter Walker, who listened to his designs in development, but from a perspective of where they went wrong and how best to minimise the aural damage - thank heavens we're not in this era now!!! I don't use my II's much now as I value the output valves and regard myself as more a custodian of them for over twenty years.

Willem

Major Contributor
My first serious amplifier was a Quad 303 and I still have it until I get round to selling it with my ELS 57s. My current amplifiers are both completely refurbished current dumpers: a 405-2 for the desk top system my study and a 606-2 in the main system. I agree that the extra grunt of the 606-2 makes a difference, in my case driving a pair of Quad 2805s in a large room. Occasionally I am even pondering about a pair of Quad QMP monoblocks. So the old valve model is not an option for me.
Playing at more modest levels I never heard any difference between the 303, the 405-2 and the 606-2.

Top Bottom