• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube sound digital emulation - is there such thing out there?

EB1000

Hi

I was wondering if are there any DSPs out there that can emulate the sound characteristics of a Tube amp by means of DSP processing, like adding even harmonics? This could be a nice feature for a DAC/Preamp. I wasn't even able to find such filter for Foobar2000.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Smsl D1 dac has some "tube" settings.
From pro gear TC Electronic Finalizer 96K.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly a tube emulator, but Paul's free software is a VST plug in where you can choose levels of harmonics to add.

https://distortaudio.org/pkharmonic.html

I do think the tube sound is much more than just even harmonic or 2nd harmonic content.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is true.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I don't believe the stereotypical "tube sound" is caused by higher even harmonics, except perhaps in the extreme case of single-ended flea-watt amps with really high distortion. I believe it is mostly to do with a higher output impedance so that the frequency response is more effected by the speaker impedance curve. It doesn't take much; even 0.5 dB gain over a wide enough frequency range can sound audibly "warmer" compared to a solid state amp. But a PEQ or two at the right places will also do the trick.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
My personal favorite, it emulates famous vintage 1950s passive program EQ (faithfully) with tube stage and you have four tubes to choose from.
It's favourite of mine as it's very good written, is passive (no volume charge) if you don't want otherwise and every element can be switched on or off (including tube stage) and of course its free. VTS of course.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pteq-x-by-ignite-amps

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Not that I know of, even with VTS and loads of plugin's made during the time only about 3% of them are really wort it. JRiver has a VTS/Winamp plugin's support, Foobar2000 has third party plugin's which support it but it's a bit messy like that.
Edit:
On OSx people did menage to use VTS with Roon true Menubus app bat it's discontinued now (the app) and I don't know is it possible with similar one's.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/vst-plugins-in-roon-dsp/71531/22
Read, first comment is hilarious.

decoRyder

Top Bottom