• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Rolling: Does it Make a Difference?

PeteL

Major Contributor
You realize what he asked for? That I open, reverse engineering the unit, find out the proper DAC output prior to buffer and measure that. No way I can sign up for this, nor defend any such results. If a product has external outputs for such, sure, I measure that as I do for AVRs and such. But without, and based on some guess, on a product no one cares about, it has no justification.
No I don't ask for this, the previous contributor asked for this not me.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I am not engaging in science projects. I don't have the luxury of time or frankly interest to analyze subystems in products I test. This project was about rolling tubes and that is what I did.

As to your guess of what "a lot of the distortion" is coming from, is just that: a guess. It is not like you have this unit or have its schematic to know any better. Keep in mind that with one tube swap, distortion did go down 7 dB in one channel:

index.php

So unless you have some hard data, I suggest you lay low in the insult department and random guessing.
Although I think tubes are interesting, purely in terms of sound history in any case, I would not be particularly interested in you spending time engineering different tube amps and performing various tests on them. As you said, you are neither interested in it nor consider yourself to have the time for it. I think it sounds good that you are not interested. There is MUCH MORE interesting things you can measure and investigate. And also do not forget to have fun. Without it, the motivation disappears.:)

You have previously mentioned the time:

I love the simplicity of tube amps like this. There is just so little to them. If I were less busy, I would not mind playing with one to get it to optimal performance.

I think you should start relaxing now instead. Fix an eggnog, or whatever you drink in the US at Christmas time.

You've done a great job with everything this year.:)

Listen to some nice Christmas music. Do not miss Jussi Björling, the phenomenal singer ...

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
On the Prima Luna there is a noticeable difference between Ultra Linear and Triode mode.
How is that happening?

I think that the the KT120s may have more output than the EL34s, but I have not put them in yet.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On the Prima Luna there is a noticeable difference between Ultra Linear and Triode mode.
How is that happening?

I think that the the KT120s may have more output than the EL34s, but I have not put them in yet.
Gain, power, source impedance.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Maybe, but I think one has more harmonic than the other.
I’ll have to check and measure.
They’ll be different, but that makes less audible difference than impedance and power.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They’ll be different, but that makes less audible difference than impedance and power.
If @Holmz is using Vandersteen2C (per his avatar); then, the load impedance should not greatly impact his subjective results while "rolling comparing" tubes. ;)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
load impedance should not greatly impact
202112_ZofVandee2C.png

All things considered, AND per stereophile review by A.H.Cordesman statement: "The Vandersteen 2C has a very flat impedance curve for so sophisticated a design. It should be an easy speaker to drive..."
[see Revel F228 floor-standing ASR review specifically for comparitive impedance... all things considered.]

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
View attachment 170896
All things considered, AND per stereophile review by A.H.Cordesman statement: "The Vandersteen 2C has a very flat impedance curve for so sophisticated a design. It should be an easy speaker to drive..."
[see Revel F228 floor-standing ASR review specifically for comparitive impedance... all things considered.]
Change source impedance and you'll change the frequency response. Cordesman was way out of his element when he tried to talk technical in audio. Should have stuck to his main specialty, advising the government on how to kill people in faraway lands.

Holmz

Major Contributor
View attachment 170891

(from https://www.stereophile.com/content/vandersteen-2c-loudspeaker-measurements)

Sure looks like it will. And he was talking about comparing ultralinear to triode, where source impedance will absolutely change.

I think we can largely discount the massive 30 Hz bump as there was not a lot of musical content there.
And even less using the Vandy powered sub and the crossover.

But back to the point… There mention of source and load impedance.
… the load impedance should not greatly impact his subjective results …
And
… And he was talking about comparing ultralinear to triode, where source impedance will absolutely change.

What is happening that makes the ”Ultra Linear” mode more “meaty” sounding in the midrange?
With vocals in the 200-2k range it has a distant, more airy and hollow sound in Triode, and the in UL is has a more richer/fuller sound.
They both sound good, and the amp looks nice. :) sitting there all a glow.
The impedance is between 8 and 9 ohms between 200 Hz and 4 kHz.

Maybe I need a link to explain the impedance effects?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah - but the constant 8-9 ohms at the speaker side makes that pretty constant, does it not?
Where do you get "constant 8-9 ohms"? The impedance plots show exactly the opposite.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was looking at the 200 to 3k range…
It's not constant there, either. Humans are far more sensitive to frequency response than to normal distortion profiles, so (assuming the described differences are real and not effects of peeking and level-matching) look there first.

57gold

Finally something I have decades of experience with, "tube rolling". To conclude with a couple of distortion measurement tests that different tubes can't impact sonics is pretty weak.

I have spent many hours selecting between various Amperex, Mullard, RCA, Telefunken...tubes for my several guitar amps and know that they have dramatic and repeatable impacts on an amp's sonic performance. Not surprisingly, the tube with the most "tube rolling" sensitivity is the first tube in the circuit that sees the instrument signal. And, the simpler the circuit, the more the tube selection matters (a three preamp tube circuit like a 1959 Fender Tweed Deluxe is very revealing of tube choice versus a seven preamp tube Mesa Boogie, which is less sensitive, but the first tube is still very significant).

If tests do not measure these sonic realities, then the tests aren't measuring the right performance aspects of the circuits.

Top Bottom