• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Question

Ja1man

Where did you read this?
Its mainly hearsay and plus these two places:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get a warm feeling knowing that we’ve had near audible transparency in consumer grade valve designs since 1947.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I get a warm feeling knowing that we’ve had near audible transparency in consumer grade valve designs since 1947.

Remember when fidelity was a prime selling point? They were trying to eliminate distortion...not turn it into a feature.

Ad-Mc60fixed.jpg

Ja1man

Clearly, some things do sound different. If its due to topology or implementation, that is yet to be seen.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then came SETs lol.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember when fidelity was a prime selling point? They were trying to eliminate distortion...not turn it into a feature.

View attachment 224132
Right? Push-pull is a dirty word now. Gotta have that massive even-order distortion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Clearly, some things do sound different. If its due to topology or implementation, that is yet to be seen.
We're talking overdriving amplifiers for instrument use? Yes, tube amps do overdrive differently. There's no mystery, you can stick a 'scope on the output and see it. Needless to say, that is not hi-fi. That's the art of designing a tube guitar amplifier. I won't go into details, but you do a lot of things that you wouldn't do for a hi-fi amp.

Ja1man

Here's how about this.
Yes, none of these products are that good. Even the woo audio is not a SET. This is why they sound so similar. But clearly there's enough of a difference to warrant going to a store and trying out different things and seeing what you like. Surely.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's how about this.
Yes, none of these products are that good. Even the woo audio is not a SET. This is why they sound so similar. But clearly there's enough of a difference to warrant going to a store and trying out different things and seeing what you like. Surely.
And these amps measure similarly? Because that is to the point everybody has been trying to make: you can measure the differences.

Ja1man

And these amps measure similarly? Because that is to the point everybody has been trying to make: you can measure the differences.
And I'm trying to say you can hear the difference instead...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I'm trying to say you can hear the difference instead...
Them I'm not understanding you. Are you saying they measure similarly? Because if they don't, that's the logical explanation.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@AMKAM
if you want to try some added warmth for free if you are running Windows, get Sony Music Center and try the DSEE HX processing.

While it adds higher frequencies to the music, it also adds harmonics.
It’s free, you can measure differences and you can ABX it. Whether or not it makes things worse or better is up to you.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha, you were talking about SETs.
The transformer with a gap in the core, heat, heat, heat ...
Yup. Even-order distortion from here to forever. And very low power.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup. Even-order distortion from here to forever. And very low power.
I have a pair of circlotron OTL tube amplifier monoblocks (DIY) that sounds pretty good with two 6C33C tubes about 30W and over 50 with four tubes.
Requires lots of feedback to keep the circlotron to behave.
I am very happy with the sound, but it is OTL, it means constant checking and servicing - with my back problem, I have them in storage these days, and got myself some used Meridian poweramps.
Much easier, plug and forget.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of circlotron OTL tube amplifier monoblocks (DIY) that sounds pretty good with two 6C33C tubes about 30W and over 50 with four tubes.
Requires lots of feedback to keep the circlotron to behave.
I am very happy with the sound, but it is OTL, it means constant checking and servicing - with my back problem, I have them in storage these days, and got myself some used Meridian poweramps.
Much easier, plug and forget.
Atma-sphere makes some nice OTLs, too. Lots of balanced differential stages etc. If I had to own a tube amp, one of those would be it. Luckily, my First Watt J2 sounds fine to me. And it never needs new tubes.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Atma-sphere makes some nice OTLs, too. Lots of balanced differential stages etc. If I had to own a tube amp, one of those would be it. Luckily, my First Watt J2 sounds fine to me. And it never needs new tubes.
I believe mine is similar to the Atma, with a difference.
The phase splitter on Atma has a tube constant current source, an elaborate one, mine is just balanced input.
I rely on DAC preamp output to give correct balanced signal.
Mine has few 1000 hours on it, output tubes are still good.
But those 6C33's can suddenly go out of spec. for no reason. I don't run them too hot, and cooling is good.
I have had two tubes sort of fail on me. and they vary too much from sample to sample, so I build myself a tester just for 6C33C's as I couldn't find one already built.

Top Bottom