• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Phono Measurement Anomaly - Seeking Input

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Hi!

I am experiencing what I believe is a measurement issue which has me a bit perplexed, so figured I'd come to the measurements experts :)

I recently completed a tube / FET hybrid phono stage, schematic below. It is being fed from the balanced outputs of my turntable, balanced input to a Lundahl LL9226XL 1:10 MC SUT transformer, through a triode-strapped D3a gain stage, then an all-in-one RIAA EQ, then a triode-strapped EF86 gain stage, followed by a FET output buffer.

D3a Phono Schematic.png

The issue I am having is taking measurements to determine adherence to the RIAA curve such that I can make necessary adjustments. The heart of my measurements setup is a MOTU M4 audio interface. I have approached the measurements in two different ways:

1) Using a inverse RIAA filter with built-in voltage dividers to provide either MM or MC level voltages via an on-board switch
2) Running an unfiltered signal into the phono pre across a voltage divider, then applying the inverse RIAA curve via soundcard calibration in REW

In both instances, I am seeing a significant LF rolloff below 500Hz with the inverse RIAA applied. This would result in a very tinny sound which subjectively is not there, the bass is very full, I suspect it is a measurement anomaly. Below is the DSP applied inverse RIAA result in REW

RIAA.png

Just to be sure, I did the following to rule out in-circuit high-pass points without a change in the LF rolloff:
-Bypassed the input transformers and fed MM level signal to the input of the D3a
-Added parallel capacitance to the 0.1uF coupling cap
-Added parallel capacitance to the 1.5uF output cap

I am using the line-level balanced output of the MOTU M4. Loopback at line level is flat as can be. So it seems there is some other high-pass being applied inadvertently. At this point, I need a second set of eyes, apologies if the answer is obvious, this is my first phono design. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sure there's not a 100 Hz rolloff, like a HPF cutoff for a sub, in there someplace? Not in your schematic, but someplace in your measuring setup...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the input impedance of the Motu?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Sure there's not a 100 Hz rolloff, like a HPF cutoff for a sub, in there someplace? Not in your schematic, but someplace in your measuring setup...

No, not that I can see, I rechecked everything in REW, no high pass filter applied. I also saw similar albeit less pronounced rolloff when taking measurements via a real-world inverse RIAA filter in Arta.

What's the input impedance of the Motu?

Looks to be 1Meg for single-ended, per the spec sheet.

MOTU M4 TRS Input.png

Unfortunately, I do not have another balanced output source on hand to compare to.

Last edited:
OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Here is another data point I acquired today, which I think proves to some degree that the measurement is flawed.

The smooth green curve is the pseudo-RIAA phono stage output with the software applied inverse RIAA. The signal input was taken from the MOTU M4 balanced line out and voltage dropped across a resistive divider. As you can see, it starts to roll off rather than continue to extend upward as a true RIAA would, hence my LF rolloff when the inverse RIAA is applied.

But the two noisy curves are signal sweeps taken from a CBS STR100 test LP, the lower frequency of which is from 20Hz-200Hz (3dB higher than reference, per the test record's description), the higher sweep from 40Hz-20kHz. Obviously these will take into account cartridge alignment, tonearm resonance, etc. which still needs some work, but the point is the LF response continues to extend upward as it should. I may need to consider attempting the measurement on a different ADC, not sure what else to try at this point. Feeding the phono input from a Topping D30 DAC rather than the MOTU M4 DAC yields the same result.

Curves.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Shall I supply you with a flac file which contains an anti RIAA sweep? Just tell me the sweep time, number of channels, sampling frequency and bits. Then you can skip the anti RIAA stage.

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
@LTig thank you for your offer, however I am able to bypass the inverse RIAA filter by applying the curve in REW via soundcard calibration, so no need for the sweep! I do appreciate it though.

Brainstorming some potential causes, I am wondering if the DAC being loaded down by the phono stage at low frequencies. The phono is set up for my MC cart with a 470ohm reflected impedance across the input transformer. The listed output impedance of the MOTU M4 is 100ohm. If so, perhaps I need to increase the phono input impedance for the sake of the measurement, or else place a buffer circuit in between the DAC and phono input.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@LTig thank you for your offer, however I am able to bypass the inverse RIAA filter by applying the curve in REW via soundcard calibration, so no need for the sweep! I do appreciate it though.
That's a good idea. Mind to share the calibration file?
Brainstorming some potential causes, I am wondering if the DAC being loaded down by the phono stage at low frequencies. The phono is set up for my MC cart with a 470ohm reflected impedance across the input transformer. The listed output impedance of the MOTU M4 is 100ohm. If so, perhaps I need to increase the phono input impedance for the sake of the measurement, or else place a buffer circuit in between the DAC and phono input.
Better lift one leg of the 470 Ohm resistor. Or skip the input transformator at all.

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
@DonH56 @LTig @SIY I think I was correct, the phono with the 470ohm input impedance was loading down the DAC below 500Hz. I instead used a single-ended signal across a voltage divider and fed it directly to the D3a input across the 47K load resistor, bypassing the input transformer. I then applied the inverse RIAA calibration in REW, and got the below.

Phono RIAA FR.png

A lot more garbage above 10kHz with the single-ended input (and alligator clips), but the point is this is a believable frequency response. Down ~1.5dB at 20Hz, will need to investigate if this is a real LF rolloff or if the measurement can be further improved, regardless we are in the ballpark! Thanks for helping me get the gears turning. Seems measuring a balanced input MC phono with the ever-popular soundcard measurement rig isn't so trivial after all :D

@LTig happy to provide the calibration file, you simply use a tab-delimited RIAA .txt file and add it to the "Soundcard Calibration" in REW, attached. Can be applied universally via the preferences or to individual measurements.

Attachments

• RIAA.txt
    1,021 bytes · Views: 125
Last edited:
Top Bottom