• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube oscillators in DACs. Can't fathom this one...

dfuller

Major Contributor
https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-100-tube-dac
This is where the magic happens... the SuperTubeClock™ replaces the solid state oscillator normally found in a DAC with a mini triode vacuum tube. By using a tube, we have significantly lowered the amount of jitter and noise, resulting in superior detail retrieval. This in turn yields superior detail and dynamics from top to bottom, and improved overall musicality.
I'm sure this is some top class audiophoolery, but what benefit could this possibly have? I can't understand the point of using a tube here instead of just using a normal quartz clock - surely the tube will have its characteristics change over time (as they do).

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's total nonsense. A tube oscillator won't lower jitter and noise, it will increase it. And "detail retrieval" is unaffected by jitter unless jitter is outrageously bad - and arguably unaffected by noise either unless noise performance is poor.

Also, the OP is right that a tube will drift out of spec and presumably eventually fail. And looking at how the tube is integrated into the unit, it looks like it would be a bear to replace for the average user, as it's not socketed.

You have to hand it to them. though: it's an impressively layered BS sandwich.

On a more serious note, I do have a question for folks: unlike a lot of other snake oil in the industry, PrimaLuna makes a very specific, non-subjective claim here: their tube "reduces jitter and noise." I don't mean to sound naive about the actual enforcement prospects, but isn't this flat-out fraud?

I mean, a company like Audioquest can get around a fraud accusation by making empirical claims only about the construction of their cables and the electrical properties of the materials, and making only subjective claims about how this impacts the sound - similar to PrimaLuna's "detail retrieval" claim. But PrimaLuna is saying a tube does two things that are almost certainly the opposite of what it does, and it could no doubt be measured easily to demonstrate that - yes?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Introducing the world's first tube-based data clocking device: the SuperTubeClock™

I suppose ENIAC didn't have a tube in its clock?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
I don't suppose Primaluna would send one to Amir for testing... lol

raindance

Major Contributor
Primaluna were pretty clever, though. They bought the rights to the Cayin TA30 chassis, this was a spectacularly well built Chinese tube amp, and Primaluna added a microprocessor controlled auto-bias circuit to make it "user friendly" and cranked the price up to 11. Most of their products were initially based around this simple 30x30 watt amp chassis (and pretending it wasn't Chinese). There was a guy who initially made some money by doing mystical audiophile mods to the Cayin and selling it for more money as Tube Audio Design - you know, like ruining its performance by lowering feedback - this was Paul Grzybeck, who sadly passed away a few years back. He was a nice guy; I bought an unmodified Cayin TA30 from him in the early days.

He also worked with other Chinese factories after the Cayin door was closed to him by Primaluna, but with less success; some of the products were utter crap.

Top Bottom