• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube or solid-state headphone amp for a Fostex t20rp?

deathstrokebebe

For some context I am a bass head. With my new Fostex T20RP headphones I listen to (bass heavy) hiphop music and at times watch movies/play games on my PC.

The DAC/Amp stack I have thought to drive these headphones is as follows:
DAC: Behringer UMC22
AMP: Either Xudoo mt-602 (tube) or Douk Audio U3 amp (solid state)
Budget: 150€ in total

Do you think is this an appropriate dac/amp stack? Again it’s just for listening to music and watching movies - no mixing or music production.

I would have spent a little more for a schiit or JDSLabs dac/amp but the shipping tax to Europe (from US) is crazy. Also their European sites says out of stock.

Thanks for the replies!

Roland68

Major Contributor
For some context I am a bass head. With my new Fostex T20RP headphones I listen to (bass heavy) hiphop music and at times watch movies/play games on my PC.

The DAC/Amp stack I have thought to drive these headphones is as follows:
DAC: Behringer UMC22
AMP: Either Xudoo mt-602 (tube) or Douk Audio U3 amp (solid state)
Budget: 150€ in total

Do you think is this an appropriate dac/amp stack? Again it’s just for listening to music and watching movies - no mixing or music production.

I would have spent a little more for a schiit or JDSLabs dac/amp but the shipping tax to Europe (from US) is crazy. Also their European sites says out of stock.

Thanks for the replies!
I found the Behringer UMC22 to be even more terrible than the Steinberg UR22 MKII. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is significantly better in this regard, but why not a tried and true DAC like the E30 or D10?
The T20RP would have deserved it;)

Katji

Major Contributor
This:

why not a tried and true DAC like the E30 or D10?

Have you checked the chart here? - chart showing SINAD of all DACs reviewed here. Good place to start.
Topping DAC+headphone amp.

Katji

Major Contributor
With my new Fostex T20RP headphones I listen to (bass heavy) hiphop music
If #Future Beats hip-hop / Soul / Soul R&B [slowed+bass-heavy edits] / lovers rock [also bass-heavy edits] maybe ok, try SOULECTION Radio mixes, Apple Music 1 [2 hours on Saturdays] then archived on Soundcloud, downloads enabled 320 kbps. ...Taken over my listening the last few months, I went off everything else. It's a collective, global, mainly the main man in LA...and the best of the rest is YUKIBEB in Tokyo.

Soulection All Day 2022 Yukibeb ... YUKIBEB (@yukibeb)

SOULECTION

...And some good playlists posted on the discord...
Tap in with the Soulection Community discord.gg/soulection

Last edited:
Top Bottom