• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Microphones?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Well of course---the drum sound on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is awesome, and if I was the drummer that was recorded in that room for that song, I'd sure remember it.
It was probably recorded in studio "A" since it was a very large and organic space. I remember the recording of the Dead's Terrapin Station where the two drummers were on an elevated stage in the middle of the studio "A" room. I recorded Russ Kunkel on a session in studio "A" and vividly remember the impression that I could throw almost any random microphones in any random positions with any random settings on the Neve console and still come away with an awesome sound. It was that kind of room.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Horses for courses. Nice to have a large selection of different kinds of mics. I wouldn't use a sm57 on vocals in the studio but they can sure make a distorted electric guitar punch. Same guitar with a clean sound maybe not.
As mentioned above, I used condensers almost exclusively in the studio and for "managed" live recordings. The small dynamic mics were generally too insensitive and noisy for good recording except very close-up. But, rugged as all get-out on stage, great when the singers started "eating" the mics or bouncing them around, and the "presence boost" and low sensitivity was a plus on stage with guitars and what-not blaring in the background. Note the 58 was the vocal version, with the ball head; the 57 had the same capsule but different head and screen. Shure called the 57 the "instrumental" version even though the only real difference was the look. That said, some singers actually wanted to use the 58 in the studio because they liked that nasty, piercing, glassy, glaring, cutting, errr..., uh... "present" sound. The singer is always right (and rarely noticed when I EQ'd it to a more natural sound ;) ).

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
As mentioned above, I used condensers almost exclusively in the studio and for "managed" live recordings. The small dynamic mics were generally too insensitive and noisy for good recording except very close-up. But, rugged as all get-out on stage, great when the singers started "eating" the mics or bouncing them around, and the "presence boost" and low sensitivity was a plus on stage with guitars and what-not blaring in the background. Note the 58 was the vocal version, with the ball head; the 57 had the same capsule but different head and screen. Shure called the 57 the "instrumental" version even though the only real difference was the look. That said, some singers actually wanted to use the 58 in the studio because they liked that nasty, piercing, glassy, glaring, cutting, errr..., uh... "present" sound. The singer is always right (and rarely noticed when I EQ'd it to a more natural sound ;) ).
The SM 58 was designed to cut through just about anything.

As an "audiophile" reference? Not so good.

For Zoom meetings? You bet!

I love the way they scour my earwax.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Warm Audio copies of KM-84s they do make a cardioid and omni capsule. I have both for my pair.

Here is the published response for the cardioid. It sounds like it has an extended low end as shown. Has more low end than any cardioid I've used. I don't know if that is from the transformers they use being better or what. I don't think this curve is from up close and due to proximity effect. For room miking rather than up close this is pretty good.
1651809120469.png

Here is the omni response and it sounds about like this looks. Doesn't sound bright, does sound like a dollop of extra airiness.
1651809288285.png

According to some people the WA-84 is supplied by 3U audio and is the same as the C127 series. They do look similar, but not exactly the same and they don't use Cinemag transformers. They are transformer coupled. 3U audio makes 5 different capsules and the 127 C Flat FR sure looks the same as the WA-84 card, and the 127 O flat looks the same as the WA84 omni response. They make omni and cardioid capsules tuned to have more "air", and they make a hypercardioid capsule.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone on one of my DIY forums took the KM84 amplifier circuit and modded it for LDCs. I'll be making a pair soon.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The sm58/57 have some differences due to the grill. The 57 has a little more 4k and more proximity(you can get closer to the capsule. And I just found out that the beta 58 is not only more sensitive from the neo magnet but its a HyperCard and has a different FR. So not exactly interchangeable.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
At today's assembly, I got my hands on the AKG C 1000 S microphones at Lincoln. They look like they barely survived the Dresden bombing. I'll send pictures and a report as soon as I can actually use them.

micstuff

Hello Everyone, Kindly Don't mind,

New here, Don't know Should I post here or not but we also have contributed about tube microphones, feedback would be great!

Top Bottom