• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube gear section.

Do you want a tube gear section ?

• Total voters

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After ~45 years of following audio stuff I'm going to walk the plank and say that tubes should be a topic @ ASR. It makes little sense but it's not supposed to in a objective manner but as I mentioned the peeps into tubes and such are far reaching and interesting and some are into advanced electronics stuff as a daily situation and employment. To cut them out is crazy talk. CraZY!!! :facepalm:

Dan Clark himself like tubes enough that out of all amps out there he chose the tubes with big irons to showcase his ultra-low distortion Stealth and Expanse headphones.

I myself run my Aeon Open X's through tubes with a much smaller iron size than the one's Dan Clark used in his demo.

OP
Spitfire93

Spitfire93

Same here.
A tube gear section on ASR would feel to me like a homeopathy section on a serious medical forum. As does the vinyl section btw :p
i don't think tube gear can be life threatening :)

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe tubes & vinyl would fit under a separate heading of vintage audio, even as new gear of that type is being made today. The technology is vintage, if not its modern gear. And, the stuff has no right to sound that good if done right.

tonycollinet

Major Contributor
Same here.
A tube gear section on ASR would feel to me like a homeopathy section on a serious medical forum. As does the vinyl section btw :p

Unlike homeopathy, tube gear works (as does vinyl) - and pretty well. Just not as well as solid state.

If you are going to stretch analogies (never a good idea) it is more like comparing paracetamol to ibuprofen.

Last edited:

tonycollinet

Major Contributor
Maybe tubes & vinyl would fit under a separate heading of vintage audio, even as new gear of that type is being made today. The technology is vintage, if not its modern gear. And, the stuff has no right to sound that good if done right.
Now that I could get fully behind.

It could include discussion of vintage solid state gear also.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm imagining many various convOs about tube amps and so forth between nOOBz and young and old alike...

Top Bottom