• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube for starters

AMKAM

Hi, first time planning to get tube amps, really like to have one. Like to go for beginners level or all the way mid level. This are the amps I am looking for

*Xduoo mt- 602 or 604( I know 604 is balanced and I don't have any headphones in balance mode but maybe in future)

*LOXJIE P20

*xDuoo TA-01

*xDuoo TA-10

Thanks

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of this 1950s technology. It's a lot more expensive to make a good tube amplifier than a solid state amplifier. And power amps (to drive speakers) require an output transformer, which is again is very expensive if you want a good one.

So here's the thing... A good amplifier will have low noise, low distortion, and flat frequency response so a good tube amp will sound the same as a good solid state amp (with the same power-output, etc.).

If an amp has "tube sound" (distortion) and that's what you want, then you need to listen for yourself because every amplifier's distortion sounds different from another amplifier's distortion.

Guitar players often like "tube distortion" and every guitar player has is favorite amp to go-along with his favorite guitar. (Guitar amplifiers are not designed to be "high fidelity" so you wouldn't want one for your stereo system .)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ good advice above.
Plus -- one does tend to get what one pays for. Companies with silly* or unpronouncible names when rendered in Latin letters may not be the best place to start.

hawk01

i have the xduoo MT-602 which according to the spec is class-A hybrid tube amp. there are a lot of YT reviews as well. while it does sound very good at moderate levels, i can discern it is not as clean as my SMSL SH-9 when played at much higher SPLs. i only bought it out of curiosity and the big discount at the time. lesson learned here is that i may never buy a pure tube amp since the hybrid is a sign of things to come, a very good SS amp will always prevail. i strongly suggest you stay with a good SS unless you just want to satisfy an urge for that proverbial ”tubey” flavor and glow!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@AMKAM If you want to dabble in tube amps i would recommend getting an inexpensive one such as Sabaj PHA3. And I second all the other's that have expressed their opinions on here. Best thing to do is test out an amp prior to purchase to understand if you like the sound that comes from tube amps. Remember distortion is always there even if you can't discern audibly.

Last edited:

deprogrammed

I do believe these are all hybrid amplifiers. You are not going to get much tube sauce. If that is what you are after then you want a true tube head amp. Good ones are not cheap.
Listen before you buy for sure.
These are more or less created for marketing. A tube is in the circuit but most of the work is with transistors.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's a sad fact that in 2021, any tube amp that's even half decent is going to be expensive.

OP
A

AMKAM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favor. Audition someone's tube amp with the headphones that you already have. You may like what you hear, and you may not. Try high volumes, try low volumes, and try all different sorts of recordings.

If you like it, then you like it. If you don't, you saved yourself some money and probably a bit of trouble, since tube gear is relatively high maintenance. Jim

Hi
I am overwhelmed now after reading this comments
Now I am really rethinking about tubes,
Let me tell u my story
I have zen can-dac
Paired with
Akg 712 dt 770 80ohms and fostex t50rps
So I was curious about tubes now

OP
A

AMKAM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favor. Audition someone's tube amp with the headphones that you already have. You may like what you hear, and you may not. Try high volumes, try low volumes, and try all different sorts of recordings.

If you like it, then you like it. If you don't, you saved yourself some money and probably a bit of trouble, since tube gear is relatively high maintenance. Jim

Hi again
I have money but not to waste on something thats maybe
So now I thinking about solid states let me be straight forward here
Everyone loves Singxer SA-1 and I can afford that, fun and warm it has everything I want
What's ur opinion
I am open for any other amps also at the budget of Singxer price
Thanks

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's a sad fact that in 2021, any tube amp that's even half decent is going to be expensive.
Well (and as you know) there a couple of expensive bits required by most of them -- mostly the ironic bits, but sometimes the vacuum tubes themselves. :)

Hi
I am overwhelmed now after reading this comments
Now I am really rethinking about tubes,
Let me tell u my story
I have zen can-dac
Paired with
Akg 712 dt 770 80ohms and fostex t50rps
So I was curious about tubes now

For the OP's benefit, and to echo @SIY's comment, the interection of the cheap and good sets for vacuum tube components is essentially the empty set. :)
I couldn't recommend to (indeed, I cannot even imagine) anyone to even consider trying a vacuum tube component without having experienced one. @AMKAM if you cannot find someone with a component which you can audition, I'd strongly recommend buying from an established, reputable local/regional vendor with a generous returns policy. Here in the US, we have several reliable on-line and hybrid retailers (e.g., Music Direct, Crutchfield, AudioAdvisor, e.g.). I don't know if there are similar options for you. The investment won't be a trivial one, so, again, I'd strongly advise you to mitigate the risk.

Can you solder? If so, there are good options that are cost effective, but not really suitable for absolute neophytes.
Pete Millett, who used to design and sell headphone amplifiers for a living, has generously shared a bevy of designs with the DIY community, with projects aimed at all skill levels -- including, e.g., specialized amps that use unusual "space charge" triode tubes that were designed to operate at low and thus (relatively) safe plate voltages. http://www.pmillett.com/

Here, e.g., is a Pete Millett "space charge" hybrid headphone amp/"linestage" I built many years ago:
realhifiglows.jpg

http://www.pmillett.com/hybrid_head.htm

The lethality aspect of most vacuum tube audio amplifiers cannot be over-emphasized as a consideration.

DSC_4301 (2).JPG

Were I you (and obviously I'm not!), FWIW, I'd start with something like the Dynakitparts ST-35 stereo power amplifier -- and a pair of moderately sensitive loudspeakers. The ST-35 is a modern implementation of a proven design at a reasonable price in an easy-to-assemble kit form (just as were the original Dynaco/Dynakit products of decades gone by).
https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-35-kit-120-vac/

Headphone amplifiers run the gamut from utter junk at bargain prices to obscenely overpriced junk :)
There are probably a few gems in between, but the signal to noise ratio in that market (and in my opinion) is extremely poor.
:(

Hope this is helpful!

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have a question I hope isn’t too far off topic. I’m aware of transformers from Jensen, Lundahl and Sowter, companies which have been around since such things were needed for tubes. I suppose they are still used for impedance matching and noise isolation, so that’s why these companies still exist. That and the smattering of tube gear and MC phono applications that still exist.
Then there’s the cottage industry type fellow who winds his own at home, and sells at hand crafted prices. And companies like McIntosh and Manley that wind their own in-house, and the only way to get theirs is to buy it in a piece of their gear. There’s iron core and air core, copper wire and silver wire, I core, E core, and C core. So my question is, are the differences between all of these worth what you’re asked to pay? In other words, if I build my own, can I get as good performance installing a Lundahl as I could expect putting in an Audio Note C-core, assuming technically proper implementation in both cases?

egellings

Major Contributor
One of the draws of tube amps, for me anyway, is the ability to actually build one from scratch and enjoy the result when I get it working. Tube circuits tend to be simple compared to S.S. ones, and are a bit more forgiving of minor mistakes in design or execution. A small mistake in a direct-coupled S.S. effort can result in a bunch of melted rock very quickly. Tubes can be accidentally destroyed, but a quick finger on the power switch can often save the day. After a few iterations, the results can be pleasing for the home constructor. So in summary, tubes make sense for home construction efforts in that they are more are likely to work after the kinks are worked out. It takes more engineering finesse that an amateur home constructor/hobbyist may not have to get a S.S. design right. If one can do S.S. design & construction, then go for it. To me, store-bought tubes amps don't make that much sense.

Foulchet

Hi again
I have money but not to waste on something thats maybe
So now I thinking about solid states let me be straight forward here
Everyone loves Singxer SA-1 and I can afford that, fun and warm it has everything I want
What's ur opinion
I am open for any other amps also at the budget of Singxer price
Thanks

I personally purchased a Cayin HA-1A Mk2. I will it argue with against tube measurements and I do not care, tube purchase is for fun and aesthetics anyway and differences are not that huge so that it makes sound unbearable. If I really had to be « objective » (the correct word is rational), I would stick with my motherboard and/or Apple dongle anyway so pretty much a close to zero audio budget.
This specific model has an impedance matching knob, which act like an EQ/« tube effect level selector » from what I tested (I do not know how it works).
On the lowest setting, it is close to a SS amp.

I tested it with AKG 712 Pro : in my opinion, it adds nothing to these headphones and maybe make it sound a bit worse (was very hard to compare in a blind test).
However it makes the HD560S sound like heaven to me.
The whole « effect » is a bit more punch/presence in basses and the feeling of a more « live » effect (that the best word I can think up to sum it up).

It might be out of your budget but the versatility of it due to impedance selector (plus the very beautiful aesthetics + practical form factor) might be worth (again on lowest impedance setting, it is very hard to tell to a SS amp).

Last edited:
OP
A

AMKAM

Hi
Thanks for responding, some people are saying to look for different kind of headphones instead of tubes. But with all honesty i cant really say what tube can or can't do for my likeing because I haven't experienced it at all no offense to people who are advicing me not to. So with all that said I was looking for something that is small and inexpensive tube like mt 601 or mt 602 just to get a picture. Now here is the twist if I can get a mid level tube which is neither hifi or low budget then maybe
So I was looking and got this
SCHIIT

Schiit - Lyr 3this and ur suggestion Cayin HA-1A Mk are not so expensive for me to afford it.
That is how much I have planned for now
This might also change everything or change the whole idea itself so
Any of ur thoughts
Ohh i forgot even I have 712, t50rp and 770 80ohms

OP
A

AMKAM

I think I understand what you're saying. You're telling us that your curiosity requires that you to listen with a tube amp so that you can lay this issue to rest for your own peace of mind.

I understand that .... totally. Been there, done that. ;)

I think either one of the choices above will satisfy your curiosity, but my PERSONAL choice would be Schiit.

Again ......... just my opinion. Jim
Hi
It was really hard to find a proper Cayin HA-1A Mk reviews
Have u tried schiit or shall I go for something cheaper like xduoo mt- one's and work from there

bpaz

Hi guys. I'm going to practice my english. Please apologize for my talking misteakes.
I have two tube pre-amps (or buffer) whit same GE5654W pair, and they are totaly diffrent.
Fx Audio tube 03 adds a strong second harmonic, a smooth sixth harmonic, and no audible noise. With some music themes it sound more wider but the most common is no audible change.
The other, generic chinesse DIYS, with same tubes and no name, adds a strong thirth harmonic and a lot of ugly noise.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The other, generic chinesse DIYS, with same tubes and no name, adds a strong thirth harmonic and a lot of ugly noise.
It's entirely possible that it's a different tube, just with whatever printing is needed to sell it. Some years back, an unscrupulous vendor reprinted some 6ES8 (variable mu) with ECC88, and of course all the usual suspects blathered about how non-linear ECC88s are!

I have never seen a tube have 2nd and 6th as the predominant harmonics- can you describe the test setup and show the spectra?

Top Bottom