• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Dacs....

SWL3600

Hey Dudes!

I just joined this forum....been lurking for a little while and seems very cool here.

Looking for your opinions on tube DACS. I've kinda been thinking about trying out another DAC but can't get over the awesome sq I'm getting out of my entry level Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2.

I put Sparkos Labs discrete opamps in it and rolled several tubes in it.....settled on the NOS GE5670 white lettered tube. This thing just sounds so damn good and for the price it's a no-brainer.

I haven't seen any tests here on this unit. That would be cool to check out.

Thanks for any comments on this unit or any other tube DACS worth mentioning.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum. We are gradually building up our review library of tube amps/DACs. I have another one that will coming out shortly.

For now, I have not seen one that I would recommend for purchasing.

As for Maverick tube DACs, they seem to be reasonably priced. So I might review one someday. :)

gvl

Major Contributor
If I wanted to color the sound with tubes I'd keep them outside the Dac. The only benefit of a tubed DAC is you can color the sound for less money, if colored sound is what you like.

OP
SWL3600

SWL3600

I like what I'm hearing......so yeah, bring on the colored sound!

Different ears, gear, room etc. etc. etc.......

OP
SWL3600

SWL3600

I have horn speakers so this probably coincides with 'horns love tubes'. They're so revealing......injecting a little tube action into a solid state system evidently works very good for me.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have horns tried valves, didn’t like them, perhaps the ones I used were particularly crap.
Keith

OP
SWL3600

SWL3600

It's very possible. Personally I don't think tubes are what they're all cracked up to be but a lot of factors have to be considered.

Whatever works......and this cheap little dac continues to surprise me.

Top Bottom