• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

tube buffer -> SS amp -> headphones vs tube headphone amplifier ?

matts19

Which set up would result in more classic tubey sound? (Given similar amount of money invested)

1) DAC -> tube buffer -> SS amp -> headphones
2) DAC -> tube amplifier -> headphones

There are really cheap tube buffers out there costing around $50 with good reviews. So why not pipe it to your favorite SS amp then ? That seems like a good add on to get tube sound without buying a tube amp outright. Am I missing something ?

Lastly, how is 1) different from a hybrid tube amplifier ? They sound darn similar theoretically speaking.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A good tube amplifier can sound just as good (low noise, low distortion and flat frequency response) as a good solid state amplifier but it's much more expensive to make a good tube amp, especially a power amplifier which requires an output transformer. I think MacIntosh tube amps probably sound "perfect" but It's been many years since I've heard one.

Tube amps can have certain "tube characteristics" but not all tube amps sound the same. Tube guitar amps are designed to distort in a pleasing way when overdriven but every guitar player has their favorite amp because (unlike good hi-fi amps) they all sound different.

If you like a certain kind of tube distortion you'd have to choose a particular tube amp that you like. A hybrid amp is a less expensive way to get tube distortion but they won't all sound the same. I assume you could also economically simulate "tube distortion" with solid state circuits. Some tube amps are sensitive to tube variations so changing the tube (or an aging tube) can alter the sound, and other designs are more immune to variations.

Top Bottom