• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube amp for HD660S

bloodevil

Hi all, I’m thinking about it for a while and I’d like to try a tube amp for my HD660S. Looking at Amirm reviews I stumbled upon the xDuoo TA-10 and at the moment it seems like the best choice. However I’d love to hear your opinions about it! The TA-10 is well within my budget (around 500€), I’m ok with spending more if it’s worth it!
what do you think?

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No harm trying. We are allowed to have some fun exploring from time to time. ;)

Do you have a DAC already? Are you considering other tube amps?

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I have tried using my HD660S with Woo Audio's WA6-SE once, it was pretty bad. Wooly bass and extremely dark sounding. I don't think HD660S is best suited with a tube amp, but you can always try your luck.

OP
B

bloodevil

No harm trying. We are allowed to have some fun exploring from time to time. ;)

Do you have a DAC already? Are you considering other tube amps?
I have a topping E30 that it’s probably better than the dac on the t-10 (I guess? Not sure)
As for other tube amps I don’t really have any idea, Amirm isn’t a fan and I like to use his reviews as standard..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amir measured it and the DAC performs well and even recommends it.
You need to look past SINAD chart in this case.
It is low output R so no muddy lows.

It is not a real tube amp though (@bunkbail talks about all tube amps) but a SS amplifier with a tube as a gain stage.

curiouspeter

I have a topping E30 that it’s probably better than the dac on the t-10 (I guess? Not sure)
As for other tube amps I don’t really have any idea, Amirm isn’t a fan and I like to use his reviews as standard..

In that case a Loxjie P20 is even cheaper ($99.99 at Amazon in the US, not sure about Europe).

I doubt you can find any budget tube amp that measures well. But you can at least use the excellent E30 as the DAC.

There is also the Schiit Valhalla ($349), which is NOT a hybrid.

Make sure you keep your existing solid-state amp around in case you want to do some serious listening.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
At 90dbSPL with the HD660S you'd be at about 70dB SNR with the xDuoo - not great though there is no harm in trying if you can send it back I guess.
6 ohms output impedance is fine, you don't really want more than say 15 ohms with the HD660S.
If you don't need a DAC, I don't think it's worth spending 300€ on, but that's certainly up to you.

Currently pairing Loxjie P20 (balanced input) with HD6XX, running from 6N3 tube (planning to upgrade to Russian 6N3P tubes). It widens the soundstage tiny bit and overall warmer sounding.

Top Bottom