• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube-03

Geo70

Hi everyone. I want to take this pre-buffer: TUB-03-FX-AUDIO and insert it into this pc-dac-Topping-pre-Tube03-ampli-icepower-speakers-quantum-605 chain. I want to try more tubes in the future, but I can't figure out which tubes I have to use what code / numbers they need to have to be 6ak5 compatible? I have to be careful that they must have 7 pins. Do any of you know any kind of tube that I can use to warm up the sound of the icepower with deeper bass? Thanks

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am rather more sympathetic towards vaccum tubes' use for hifi than the average (maybe even the median ;) ) ASR poster -- but... vis-a-vis the FX Audio thing(s)... umm, yeah, no. Buy some take-out food, or beer with your 31 USD; it's junk and it sounds like it, too (at least based on the example that was -- let me emphasize this -- very kindly passed along to me to evaluate).

You must have something better to do with 31 dollars (or the equivalent in your local currency).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
For completeness, this is the variant that is visiting at my house...
This one is (ostensibly!) Japanese-made, has selectable gain, and actually costs more than the FX-03 :rolleyes:

DSC_0642 (2r).JPG

Helicopter

Major Contributor
A Darkvoice 336SE will change and warm the response. That may be my most colored tube piece. Loxjie P20 is a nice little inexpensive amp, with much less coloration.

OP
Geo70

Geo70

I found the tubes I was looking for these: M8100 CV4010 5654 EF95 MULLARD with very deep bass but not drooling to hear people. These are the first I will buy, then Voshkod, Jan, RCA. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Maybe just a Japanese upgrade, not made.;)
I am sure there's nothing Japanese about it, but there's lore on the interwebz that claims it to be.
I'll leave it at that ;)

prerich

I found the tubes I was looking for these: M8100 CV4010 5654 EF95 MULLARD with very deep bass but not drooling to hear people. These are the first I will buy, then Voshkod, Jan, RCA. ;)
I've used one (got rid of it after I bought the Marantz AV7706 - I had the Denon X4300h prior and it was very bright to me...the Marantz, the very opposite). I went with the 1970's Voshkod's - straight from the Ukraine (former USSR "member"). Mine included the "OTK" stamp. I still have a few of those tubes around the house.

magicscreen

Using this Tube-03 can you improve the sound quality of a THX AAA 789/Atom/Topping L30?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you can add "tube sound" via software if you want

or buy a tubed pre-amp and run the DAC into that

magicscreen

you can add "tube sound" via software if you want

or buy a tubed pre-amp and run the DAC into that
Thanks, the Tube-03 is a tubed pre-amp.

Unfortunately there is no such thing like tube sound adding software.
Only overdriven tube guitar amplifier simulators.

gonzoucab

im my pic you can see a xlr balanced tube pre amp. the LS22 clone chinese are making

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
more market research is needed

Starting with, "Define 'tube sound.'" Apparently it's bright and forward or it's warm and soft. Those tubes are wily devices.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes. I am using this TUBE-03 before my Jds Atom amp. And the sound became clearer, more detailed and more pleasant. How is that possible?

Coming to conclusions about sonics absent any basic controls. Your brain is the wiliest.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes. I am using this TUBE-03 before my Jds Atom amp. And the sound became clearer, more detailed and more pleasant. How is that possible?
Based on my experience with one of these little boxes (the "01J" morph) -- it's not [possible].
I found it to impart a "fizzy" quality to the sound that was, perhaps, enticing to some, but irritating to me. I'd say that the effect wasn't pronounced enough to be characterized as sibilance, but it was along that line -- kind of an "etched" quality to the sound that, I suspect, strikes some listeners as "detailed". I found it to be artificial sounding and, again, a bit grating.

But, hey, if you like what you see and hear, roll with it!

DSC_0642 (2r).JPG

Top Bottom